Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
CeeJayH submitted a new Showcase Item:

Chris's raised pond

I designed this new pond as a complete garden make-over. I had a large sunken pond a few years ago, but this time I wanted to bring the water level up, and make the pond part of the garden. The idea is that it forms one edge of a patio area that gets the evening sun. I'm going to stock it with a few goldies, a couple of water lillies, and lots of marginal plants.

full

Overall dimensions are 4m long, 1.8m wide, and 0.6m deep in the main, but I will dig down in the middle so the full depth is about 1m in the centre.

The volume will be about 4,000 litres.

Read more about this showcase item here...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's a pretty cool looking pond! I have a plan for a new pond in the future and still decide if I want the same raised pond or in the ground and looking at your pond just might favoring the raised pond side a bit more ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I like the idea of being able to get close to the water without having to crouch or kneel down - which is great as my knees are starting to creak. It brings the pond up to an accessible level. The idea of the slate at the end is it forms a seat on one side of the patio.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That's why my pond is half raised on 3 sides .Could have built the low sides up with the dirt from the hole but wanted it so i could just walk up and sit on the retaining wall block .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like the idea of being able to get close to the water without having to crouch or kneel down - which is great as my knees are starting to creak. It brings the pond up to an accessible level. The idea of the slate at the end is it forms a seat on one side of the patio.
that's exactly what I like about my raised pond too. But planning to have a big bog with it...will really have to be creative about the shape and all and I'm NOT creative lol.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep raised gives you a great place to rest tired bones after working out side and the sound of water relaxes and cools you off .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The software is Sketchup.

http://www.sketchup.com/

It's free for personal use, and it takes a while to get familiar with it, but it's quite powerful. I recommend you follow the on-line tutorials to understand it better.
OK, yes I think I put that on the PC a year or so ago. Got about 1/2 way into the tutorial and [because of my ADD], started suffering from information overload so went straight to the application, LOL! I remembered enough from the tute to do some basic stuff, and it was cool! I got started on a below-ground pond, complete with shelves.

Thanks, and I might have to give it another try. I want some software that lets me do just that sort of stuff and it's something that's fun to play with!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Wow! Really impressive work, and gorgeous pond! I love an above-ground. I have 3 French Bulldogs (a breed that cannot swim), so I stay partially above for safety plus viewing/sitting ease.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the kind comments. I'm really pleased with the outcome. The water has turned very green, but I'm sure it will settle down as the filter gets working.

Ask a Question