Culling the herd...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
heres an interesting fact about goldfish .
The collective nown for a group of goldfish isnt as I first thought a shoal of goldfish infact they are known as a "Troubling of goldfish". (y)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh dear, on the flushing video - yikes!!! I remember my mother flushing our deceased gold fish down the toilet when we were kids :(

Interesting goldfish fact @Dave 54 . Do you ever have excess koi, from spawns?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear, on the flushing video - yikes!!! I remember my mother flushing our deceased gold fish down the toilet when we were kids :(

Interesting goldfish fact @Dave 54 . Do you ever have excess koi, from spawns?

Have never allowed them too Tula

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Dave 54 , How do you keep your koi from spawning? One of my problems is, I don't know the sex of my koi. If I did and separated the females, wouldn't they become egg bound, if not allowed to spawn?
You stop koi breeding by not providing them with plants to spawn on
At the end of the summer the females will normally re-absorbs the the eggs to help them through winter (y).
When you want them to breed you remove the koi you want to breed from along with the male who's genes you wish to pass on into our 550 gallon imperial QT fasility along with spawning ropes allow the two to have their nuptials then remove them both after she has spawned and he has spread his milt .
The reason you need remove them is simple they will eat the eggs
Its either that or all my koi are gay :(

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, it must be my plants. I have water lilies that I adore, as well as some other plants that grow around the pond. At least this year, I had far less fry to rehome.

When I used to keep shubunkin, comet and koi....my pond population exploded!! At first I thought it was wonderful, until it grew and grew and grew!!! I've read here that others let mother nature run it's course......but mine all seemed like hardy little devils !!

Ask a Question