Desperate. Fish dying

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gosh, such a lovely garden! welcome to the forum - you've come to the right place for help! Lots of smart, caring pond folks here who will do their best!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Good morning. Everyone has been great and thank you. CometKeith because it's been so dry this year there is a spider eating the bean crop doing quite a bit of damage. The farmer sprayed an insecticide to kill the spider. So if this is what's causing my problem is there any way to be sure? Water changes has not given the fish any relief. Their gills look fine not red or pink. Only lost 3 yesterday and I don't see any died ones yet today.
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think at this point, and after 6 25% water changes, there's nothing more you can really do.
You have a high density of plants in the pond, so they will have removed a fair amount of pollutants. I would harvest as many of the plants that you can and dispose of them, don't compost them.

By pruning the plant density you will free up room for further plant growth, further cleaning the water and free up some surface area so the pond water can benefit from increased gas exchange.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I too am sorry about the loss of your fish but your pond is beautiful!

I no longer have goldfish because of the high risk of disease and they are slow for predators to grab.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ellis, I'm very sorry you're losing fish :( You have a lovely pond and garden, it's obvious you've put a lot of effort into it.

You're getting lots of good advice and questions, but I wanted to welcome you to our forum.
I wanted to say just that^ ! I'm so sorry for what you're going through:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
No uv light never had one in all these years. This is the first time we have lost fish in the summer. Started 2 weeks ago lost 14 as of yesterday, haven't lost any today. Just put in 2 bags of charcoal one in each pond. Anything to be cautious of with the charcoal? I also took out most of the water lettuce. The big koi is just fine act quite normal. Could fish food cause a problem? We also bought a new bag of Laguna food 2 weeks ago. Noticed what looked like oily residue in the filter tank. Stop using it a week ago.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Some may disagree, but I wouldn't feed anything right now [it could be, but doubtful it's the food causing the die-off]. At least that will help keep the fish waste to a minimum until this is sorted out. I still think you have too many fish and that your problem is related to oxygen levels -- and possibly complicated by the pesticide.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, as your fish grow and have babies, there is more competition for oxygen [and a whole slew of other, related problems that snowball....]. So your pond, which was fine forever before, has suddenly maxed out -- compounded by summer heat, etc., etc. Nature likes to keep things in balance. In the wild, under adverse conditions -- assuming Man didn't intervene in any way [such as we do with our ponds] -- you will see that balance in play: when the prey animals can't find food [because of a drought, say], they die, leaving only the strongest and healthiest. When there are no prey animals, the predators die off. Then things improve and the cycle repeats. Your pond is trying to tell you something.....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I agree on ceasing the feeding, since you stated that the Goldfish were not eating anyway (a possible symptom). I, however, disagree on this being an Oxygen related problem. There are a couple of reasons that I say this. First, you have said repeatedly that the largest fish is exhibiting absolutely no signs of distress and largest fish are always the first to be affected by depleted oxygen conditions, Secondly, it is known and has been supported by numerous studies that Goldfish can tolerate extremely low Oxygen levels for extended periods of time with no lasting ill effects.
Do you know if the water temperature has experienced a sizeable fluctuation lately? Was the heavy rain that you received a cold rain?...and how long did it rain? Have you noticed an accumulation of mucous (slime) on any of the dead fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
There is nothing obviously wrong with the dead fish other than their mouths are wide open. It has been extremely hot here this summer with temps often in the thirties. Even the rain is still hot and doesn't cool things down at all. The only cooler water the pond gets is when I add it which has been frequent this summer because of the heat. Would like to be thank everyone again for your help you have been great.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
water temps can cause problems also .But I would think also the larger fish would be effected first ,but in saying that there is always that chance it may not .Stranger things have happened .Adding cooler water to already hot water may not help the fish .You can provide some artificial shade and like said remove some of the plants .Plants give off oxygen during the day but use it up at night .When are you finding the most dead fish .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Hi sissy. Yesterday it was in the morning but the day before it was later the rest I don't remember. The upper pond now that the sun is lower not getting any sun till around 12:00 pm. The lower pond gets sun from 9:00 till 5:00. The ponds are linked together.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
are they dieing in both ponds .Usually fish dieing in the morning means a lack of oxygen ,but you say you have an aerator .What size is the aerator and how many air stones are in each pond

Ask a Question