Do Fish Have Feelings?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not quite the exact same subject, but the scientific community is currently embroiled in an in-depth back-and-forth as to whether or not fish feel pain. Valid arguments have been proffered to support either side with neither side really gaining much ground. The pro and con camps on this subject seem to be split almost equally. Not such an easy subject to prove or disprove..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If they got mu opioid receptors then they can feel pain, which they do. I defer to vets about this, not a fish Doctor.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a fish,I catch fish,shoot fish with a bow and arrow and eat them with tartar sauce. Cows,sheep,goats,pigs and chickens are far and away more along the evolutionary scale then fish . I'd bet the aforementioned critters are capable of far and away more " feelings" then fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Fish know who feeds them. Scientifically they have very primative nerve centers so a stab to us, is likely a pin prick to them. If you are asking if a fish feels love? I would say thats a negative.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No, wasn't asking about love. Just found the article's author to be quite knowledgeable about the research done on fish emotions and thought process.... Sounds to me like they are more advanced than many think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I hope they grow to love me instead of hiding all day, lol. My two blackies are never seen unless my fantail is laying eggs, then they are out chasing her, lol.

Ask a Question