Does too much algae....

Reaction score
Very true. I check ammonia and nitrate levels often, so far no detectable amounts of either showing up on my tests. Keeping the fish load very low for the volume of water is the key. We'll see if that holds as he season progresses.

Reaction score
With the large size of Larry's pond and his relatively low fish population I can't see ammonia build up being a big problem.
Even if dumping some unknown powder into a pond could significantly increase the bacteria population somehow, it would not reduce the nitrates (plant and algae nutrients) in the water.
Nitrates are the end produced of the nitrogen cycle and nitrates are basically fertilizer (nutrients) for plants and algae.
nitro_cycle_5.jpg

Larry I suspect if you find that throwing some sort of powder into your pond helps to clear your water the reason is because you are essentially floc treating your water. Flocculation water Treatment
I'd look into Riftlakes's air lift suggestion for increasing circulation and oxygenation without breaking the bank.
You can circulate a lot of water cheap with airlifts, they just can't lift water more than a couple of inches efficiently. Maybe you can figure a good way to circulate and filter your pond without paying a fortune for electricity.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Bottom aeration would provide the circulation needed, but it too would need to be run 24/7/365. This would also maintain Oxygen levels that may prove to be more of a water quality problem than Ammonia and/or Nitrite. All of these bacteria that are being added require Oxygen, lots of it, to not only function but survive. And this is in addition to the Oxygen demand of the already established biofilm on the entire submerged surface area of the pond.

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. It is only the beginning of the season, so I'll keep you posted on how well this approach works down the road. There will be a good growth of primrose surface plant as the season advances. I only wish Hyacinths weren't banned in my state, because that would do wonders. I also anticipate having to do a couple major water changes as well. But as things stand right now, so far, so good.

Ask a Question