Newbie here. Does this look brown or green to you?

Reaction score
Country
Uganda
Hello all. I built my first real pond using a kit I purchased online. So far so good. The first 3 weeks the water was crystal clear and looked great. Then all of a sudden it became really stained. The water looks a combination of brownish green. Almost like an olive color. I read that a brown color can be fixed with activated carbon and a green color with a uv clarifier, but what does this look like to you?

My pond is 3 ft deep at the deepest spot and has largemouth bass in it. I’m in Southern California in Long Beach where it rarely get below 50 degrees in the winter.

Attachments

• B8D407CF-B26B-4989-B529-41E0630513F8.jpeg
    B8D407CF-B26B-4989-B529-41E0630513F8.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 305
  • D2CF68E7-D4DE-42DB-ABE1-42AFD6BDE402.jpeg
    D2CF68E7-D4DE-42DB-ABE1-42AFD6BDE402.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 326

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our Forum!

It looks like your pond is doing a normal new pond cycle. It takes time for it to establish a balance. Add more plants. Get a test kit so you can tell us the numbers. A liquid API test kit is the best.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Agree, it’s normal, and best not to do anything. Activated carbon will remove tannins, the cola color, but be sure you don’t have a lot of leaves or contact with wood.

Just curious as to why you have large mouth bass in a decorative pond. Just be sure you have good filtration if you are keeping a lot of fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-11-17_9-34-36.gif
@civicsurfer I have something similar to that black rolled stuff in a big container w/a pump running water from the bottom of the pond sucking up gunk and running it up into the pot. I just have mine sitting on the top edge of my pond covered w/a decorative rock to hold the tubing in place. Works great at sucking up the muck! I do have the pot lined w/fiberglass screen that I bought at Lowes. That keeps the finer gunk from flowing back into the pond.

IMG_8770.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Uganda
Hello and welcome!

Agree, it’s normal, and best not to do anything. Activated carbon will remove tannins, the cola color, but be sure you don’t have a lot of leaves or contact with wood.

Just curious as to why you have large mouth bass in a decorative pond. Just be sure you have good filtration if you are keeping a lot of fish.

Although there is a tree nearby, it’s not like there’s an excessive amount of leaves that fall into the water. Also the skimmer does a great of picking them all up. So perhaps it’s just algae.

As for your second question, I’ve always been intrigued by largemouth bass since I was a kid watching Sunday morning bass fishing shows before church. I think they are a beautiful and interesting fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Tannins (humic substances) are good for your water quality.
Measure your water quality with a good testing kit, including KH and GH, as @addy1 mentioned above.

Ask a Question