edging concerns

Reaction score
I want to see your pond in person @Meyer Jordan ! I am going to attempt this in a small portion of my shallow stream. I'm just picturing everything washing down into the pond. I have a couple dug out holes that I was going to plant and use small rocks to anchor. Hope to have plants in my steam to help with my water, figured it couldn't hurt.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I want to see your pond in person @Meyer Jordan ! I am going to attempt this in a small portion of my shallow stream. I'm just picturing everything washing down into the pond. I have a couple dug out holes that I was going to plant and use small rocks to anchor. Hope to have plants in my steam to help with my water, figured it couldn't hurt.

You can minimize your concern about "everything washing down into the pond" by locating the stream-side planting areas in spots where the stream is widest. The velocity of the water is considerably less in these locations, thus very little concern with erosion. You can also top these planting areas with a thin layer of gravel. This will also prevent erosion.

Reaction score
You can minimize your concern about "everything washing down into the pond" by locating the stream-side planting areas in spots where the stream is widest. The velocity of the water is considerably less in these locations, thus very little concern with erosion. You can also top these planting areas with a thin layer of gravel. This will also prevent erosion.
Ahh good, my areas are along the sides. I was really hoping it would work as I love the plants but don't have a lot of room in my 1000 to dedicate to plants. Trying to keep it to scale and still see some fish.

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Meyer has given some great and positive feedback on this edge type. A negative would be that the m2 taken by soil could be dedicated to water and a vertical/stepped edge, any other thoughts on possible problems? I once tried a small amount of low nutrient seed and cutting compost in my aqurium as a planting substrate...not a sucess!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer has given some great and positive feedback on this edge type. A negative would be that the m2 taken by soil could be dedicated to water and a vertical/stepped edge, any other thoughts on possible problems? I once tried a small amount of low nutrient seed and cutting compost in my aqurium as a planting substrate...not a sucess!

Whar is "m2"? Compost is not suitable because of its high organic content. Plantings receive their nutrients from the dissolved minerals and organics in the water column.

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
meter squared is what I meant. I used seed and cutting compost in the tank for just that reason but it still proved to be too much. Do you know the content of your stream soil eg. 25% sand 10% gravel, 20% clay etc

Ask a Question