Fabric Pond Planting Bags

Reaction score
I am considering the same type of thing because my pond is smallish and I sit on my deck looking down into the pond most of the time. I don't want to see all the plastic pots. My friend assures me that after the plant has grown and is established I won't notice it but I'm sure I will as my water is very clear. I was gonna try the felt underlayment wrapped like a burrito with some media in it and nestled between rocks to secure it. Not until next year as I just finished my pond and I'm out of steam for 2014. Let me know how it works out.

Don't laugh, but I was thinking of using a black sock with media in it. I am an entrepreneur and it is now running over into my pond life!!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That looks pretty interesting. I bought mini milk crates from Wal-Mart. They were $1.67 apiece. I have used them as planters and as ledges. I zip tie 2 together with a rock in 1 to keep them on the bottom. I love them and they are hardly noticeable since they are black. I don't have a flat bottom either but not terrible crooked so I haven't had problems with them. Let me know if you try them Big Lou, the price isn't too bad but I'm curious about how long they last and if they collapse if planted on a slope. The only home option I can think of would be to do small bags of sand to put your pots on that would allow you to level the area.
Oh and I hope you're feeling better!!

Reaction score
That looks pretty interesting. I bought mini milk crates from Wal-Mart. They were $1.67 apiece. I have used them as planters and as ledges. I zip tie 2 together with a rock in 1 to keep them on the bottom. I love them and they are hardly noticeable since they are black. I don't have a flat bottom either but not terrible crooked so I haven't had problems with them. Let me know if you try them Big Lou, the price isn't too bad but I'm curious about how long they last and if they collapse if planted on a slope. The only home option I can think of would be to do small bags of sand to put your pots on that would allow you to level the area.
Oh and I hope you're feeling better!!
While I'm on the subject of socks, what are @sissy socks you've mentioned. I'm so curious and I know she comes up with some ingenious stuff!! :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ohh sissy is brilliant! She sews screen to form a pouch for planting leaving a tail that she can tuck under rocks. It is so she can plant on steep walls. I will see if I can find a picture.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'm going to try and fabricate a few this weekend if it rains.
Me... Sewing... My grandmother will be so proud.

Cheap alternative are the washing machine bags. They're made out of nylon. Get 'em at the dollar store. Make sure that you use aquatic soil or you'll have a mess on your hands. They're white, but don't stay that way for long.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to try kitty litter. Easier clean-up if I have a spill on Isle 3. Thanks morewater! If these don't work I will definitely check into washing machine bags.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Big Lou I planted in similar bags (mine had draw string tops so you could adjust the opening). All of my plants burst right out of the bags. I ended up having to cut the bags off to get the plants out to divide them, so it was kind of a one use product.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Were your bags the same as shown on the following link Lisa?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16848
Yes - I had smaller ones exactly like that and bigger ones with drawstrings around the top. Same material. Same result. The roots grew right through the fabric. Like you, I have uneven areas where I put plants so the bags were great as they can be "molded" to the area where they sit.

One advantage - the plants in the bags formed dense root balls. When I cut the bags off, I simply cut the root ball in half (well, hacked it in half is more accurate!) and opened the circle into two half moon shapes. Those two half circles fit perfectly on my shelves with the flat side up against the edge of the pond. So they are now growing barerooted right on the shelf. I now think of those fabric bags as "training pots"!

Ask a Question