Fabric Pond Planting Bags

Reaction score
Yes - I had smaller ones exactly like that and bigger ones with drawstrings around the top. Same material. Same result. The roots grew right through the fabric. Like you, I have uneven areas where I put plants so the bags were great as they can be "molded" to the area where they sit.

One advantage - the plants in the bags formed dense root balls. When I cut the bags off, I simply cut the root ball in half (well, hacked it in half is more accurate!) and opened the circle into two half moon shapes. Those two half circles fit perfectly on my shelves with the flat side up against the edge of the pond. So they are now growing barerooted right on the shelf. I now think of those fabric bags as "training pots"!
Thanks for this detailed information. I will try making some from screening for the spring plant in 2015. I am hoping to not use pots at all in my small pond. Just not enough room for them and they aren't beautiful as I can see every detail (so far) in my ponds new life. My goal is the 2016 plant!!!

Ask a Question