First winter. Should I still do small water changes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey all! This will be the first winter for my pond. I'm in the northern half of Georgia. We are pretty temperate most of the year (says the native midwesterner!) We will have some days below freezing, but they will be here and there and never long-lasting. I'm quite sure it's fine to leave the waterfall going all winter and I doubt the pond surface will ever freeze. The pond is heavily planted and has a lot of algae on the rocks. Any feeding I do at this stage of the game has been for fun.

With all this in mind, is it good to continue doing mini water changes throughout the winter? Or not necessary with the cold water perhaps inhibiting the rotting of plant matter and such?

What do you other southerners do?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Search for "water changes" on this site and you'll see there are varied opinions on whether you should do water changes at all. I don't think we need to start that conversation all over again here - but it's a good read!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If possible turn of falls can cause ice dams from splashing. I also would not do a water change keep everything water content as is for fish. Algae and other wise. Also no water changes keeps the water temp current thus less stress and comfussion for the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I personally am planning to still do water changes--but I admittedly have a Dedicated Koi Pond setup at this point rather than a garden pond. Last year when it was a garden pond I did not do any water changes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have never done a water change in the winter. i'm not sure why it would be necessary. If you keep water flowing that's all that is necessary as it will help prevent anaerobic decay of organic matter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't do water changes in the winter, well don't do them in the summer either unless it rains real hard.

Everything is turned off, a pond breather added.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
. I'm quite sure it's fine to leave the waterfall going all winter and I doubt the pond surface will ever freeze.
I leave my WF running thru the winter. The first two winters were really harsh and the WF and stream formed an ice dome. The water continued to flow down the stream and into the pond. I never had water redirected out of the pond.
I have never performed water changes for the pond . Just op off when needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks everyone. This is what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I keep koi and I do water changes every week along with my filter clean outs but as winter comes the koi feed less so the filters don t need a weekly clean out so I tend not to carry out water changes when the pond temp drops below 10 degrees c

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well it's like this, every pond is different and every pond keeper does things different. I would say you would need super filtration, no bottom rocks, cleaned of debris, light fish load and not so harsh winters, then maybe not do a water change.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
When I wintered outside the ammonia levels shot up. I think cause was I have bottom rocks and too much decay to go the whole winter. I did a water change before winter and one mid winter to help solve the problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome back @waynefrcan !

You know I'm going to counter your "lose your rocky bottom" advice every time... I love my rocked pond! And my winter might not be quite as cold as yours, but it's definitely not balmy here. Never had a problem overwintering my fish without ever worrying about a water change.

As you said... every pond is different!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks, I like my rock bottom, it's just not the best for keeping excellent water quality. I do a yearly pond cleanout and winter the fish inside the garage now. Our winters are just too cold for koi.

I come on here every winter and spring :)

Ask a Question