Fishing Weights ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This may be a stupid question, but are fishing weights bad for aquarium/pond use, i.e., spawning mops, ect.?

Thank you, Jim.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use the plastic weights like they use for the kitchen faucets that have pull outs sprayers .They sell the replacement ones .I know I bought another one for my kitchen faucet

Reaction score
No I use them to hold my floating plans in place so that they don't get sucked into the skimmer. In the fall I pull the plants out and throw everything away. If corrosion was a problem then stainless steel would be an option.

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus Carpio
Reaction score
Country
United States
No I use them to hold my floating plans in place so that they don't get sucked into the skimmer. In the fall I pull the plants out and throw everything away. If corrosion was a problem then stainless steel would be an option.
are they galvanized?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use stainless steel just like clamps for the pond pipes they do not rust .Galvanized rusts ,I know deck screws were galvanized and heads broke off a lot of them and they were badly rusted

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus Carpio
Reaction score
Country
United States
You can use stainless steel just like clamps for the pond pipes they do not rust .Galvanized rusts ,I know deck screws were galvanized and heads broke off a lot of them and they were badly rusted
I have had galvanized strainers rust and corrode.
No just what ever I have in my can of nuts and bolts. They rust a little but the color just blends into the pond color.
Having rusting metal in your pond is not good. You should replace them with stainless steel

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus Carpio
Reaction score
Country
United States
the rust from a 3/8" nut has never been a problem.
The rust can build up in the gills of fish and eventually stop them from functioning. Other metals such as copper can damage the entire body, especially the liver. Iron affects the gills and nervous system.

Ask a Question