floating planter rings

Reaction score
hahah addy and sissy, you crazy pair, the hula takes years of training lol and even now i can only get it to work for about a minute or less

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well at least it doesn't start at your feet and you trip over it .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thank god thought I was going to have to prove it to you ,what a relief:lol::LOL::lol:would not be pretty ,maybe funny, but not pretty

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just my thoughts on these rings...regular "string netting" is no good unless you have a full frame to stretch it over... whats to stop the fish from pushing up a loose netting and freely eating? or push some plants right up and out of the ring? now screen...the wholes are too small to allow good water flow thru the roots and when the string algea or blanket weed hits, it may just clog totally if not attended too, and cleaned regularly...being up at the surface some alge will grow on them. any other thoughts?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It could be an algae problem but may be worth the little extra work to have plants in a pond where you have koi ..I have wanted plants for years spent money on them only to have the fish destroy them and I think the pond looks barren without the floating plants but that may just be me.The lush look of a pond with plants always looks better to people and makes the pond even more attractive

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your missing my point........i make and use the planter rings..in fact this is my instructional thread...my point is the other materials are not as effective, or as aestetically pleasing. these totally disappear in the pond when filled.and the rigid plastic bird fencing keeps a good strong enclosure!! i am just looking for input, or opinions, better ideas if youve got them!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok I understand what your asking now but once the plants take over the ring you hardly see the ring .The fencing you used is nicer of course and I will spend the money on it later if I see the ring will work .I just used what I had to make one for now to see if my fish won't be jumping in it to get at the plants .I made a small one just to see if I should get the fencing if it seems the plants are thriving then I will spend the extra money .I see yours are sturdier and will last longer and of course nicer looking .If I had goldfish and not plant destroying koi it would be great .lol right now money is tight

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats why i built mine, my koi werent letting me keep any floating plants. they ate all the roots on my lettuce and hyacinths. on my hyacinths they ate right up to the tubor, then they discovered the pulp from the bulbus part of the stems are a delicious treat.... these have prevented me losing any more plants.. and they reproduce in droves. now they even destroy my lillies...this year i'm building a 6' - 8' round one to tie off centered in the pond...this should have the added benefit of fish security, and shade.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would love to spend the money now but not knowing now on this other house .I'm trying to watch my pocket book ,I just want these people to have a home .My koi will move rocks I put by the planters to get at the plants .I got those flexible plant baskets this year hoping I can tie the tops closed loosely with fishing line so at least I can have plants there and weigh down the center .I wish I had known how koi were I would have gone with goldies instead .My koi did the same thing lol destroyers they are .I hope I will have as much success as you are .I am going to a house sale again that has a lot of construction material on the list including plastic fencing it says .keeping my fingers crossed, tons of them here with all the foreclosures .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
In summer could you put a Pleco or some other algae eating fish in the rings to keep the algae away? You'd have to catch him at the end of summer and bring him inside tho. His doo would really fertilize those plants and he won't bother them. Just a thought :cool:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have an 18" pieco he likes the pond life....but the alge grows mostly on the outside of the rings...the inside is shaded by the plants................. just curious...does everyone read all the posts? no need to answer this.

Ask a Question