Frogs or no Frogs?

Reaction score
We have a few types of frogs here, but the only one I would add to the pond is the green frog. Green frog populations are going way down. I think our yard was young when we added them the first time. There are many more plants around for them to spend their days than before. If we added them I would be going out of the city and catching tadpoles from a natural pond and bringing them home.

That Google map snapshot is pretty much what is behind us. There are no frogs or toads around here. I suppose the racoons and feral cats have taken them all out. A few years back we saw the biggest feral cat I have ever seen. It had no tail and it was the size of a small dog! Coyotes are getting more prevalent here, and we still have the odd fox. Most of these animals will be along green belts that come into the city.

Any frog to leave our property will die. :sad:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We get fox here and bears and the occasional loose cow or goat from the farms here .We have ground hogs been never saw one on my property .We do get hawks buzzards and owls but no problems from them When my house was first put up no critters at all it took awhile and one i built the pond the frogs found me and I feed the deer .I love there babies when they come up to me and say ma .not your mom kiddo go find her . :razz: They do it the fruit sometimes off my fruit trees but i don't mind sharing most times .Taken 9 years to get this far but it has been worth it

Attachments

• deer in yard 001.jpg
    deer in yard 001.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 306
  • a day of deer 001.jpg
    a day of deer 001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 274
  • the start only house 001.jpg
    the start only house 001.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 292
  • 2012 house 001.JPG
    2012 house 001.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 323

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Although I live in a city/town it is quite rural and I not far from the edge of town.

I am not sure what variety of frog we have but they come on their own. For a few weeks in the spring they are way too loud. We used to do a catch and release elsewhere thing but it was a battle we could not win. Now we just close all the doors and windows on that side of the house.

Our area is in something like the 15th year of a drought and the only other nearby body of water is the city lagoon on the other side of town about 1.5 miles from here. Perhaps we are helping to keep the frog population up through the dry spell.

We do see a few horny toads. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get a ton of green frogs, bull frogs have started moving in. If I catch a bull frog I remove it from our system, they eat the green frogs. The bull frog gets a ride to the river. But in saying that, they are very hard to catch in our pond, too big, too many places for them to bail to as I walk up. The bull frogs leave as soon as they see you, the green frogs freeze, you can actually just walk right up to them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No wonder the green frogs are in trouble. They freeze and Mr Bullfrog just walks up and gobbles them up. Poor green froggies :sad:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen a bunch of the large bull frog tads, I am going to try to remove some, they are twice the size of the green frog tads.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
HaHa I don't think you will fit in their mouths addy so don't be afraid to move :LOL:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
HaHa I don't think you will fit in their mouths addy so don't be afraid to move :LOL:
geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeZ!

Ask a Question