Help a girl build a wooden pond frame?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I purchased the lumber today, but I held off on buying the cap boards. Even though they won't be hanging directly over the pond, I don't want treated lumber for them. Can I use anything out there to safely weather-proof wood for a pond? The internet is giving me mixed answers and until I have cap boards in place, there's no place for my margarita to sit. This is serious, people.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Boom! Saturday well-spent. I created the design and bought the lumber and my husband put it together and built me the wee fish-viewing bench. One cap board is 12" so I can put my coffee/breakfast/lunch on it. Next step is fill dirt, plants, and then...something attractive. Lattice or lights or...whatever.

I saw in the plumbing section at Lowes a roll of insulation. I'd be able to attach it around the outside of the pond before I fill the frame with dirt. But will this cause problems in the summer? I'd hate for it to keep the pond hot rather than cool.

I don't know what to do with that waterfall. I wish I'd known about bogs before I purchased it. Next summer's project, I think.

Attachments

• framed.jpg
    framed.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 645

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It will actually keep it cooler as the wood on the outside heats up it will not go through and heat up the dirt ,You can't use fiberglass it has to be ridged insulation.The other will absorb water .I use foam core or the pink or blue foam board

Reaction score
I don't know what to do with that waterfall. I wish I'd known about bogs before I purchased it. Next summer's project, I think.

Honestly, looking at your picture... I wish I would have done something of that sort when I finished up my above ground pond last summer. That sunken in look with the waterfall above it like that... is AWESOME! I would almost force people to have to walk over and see what we've crafted inside the pond itself... I may have to do something similiar with an extra pond liner I have in my shed...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Wow. Thanks, Aiden. I wasn't originally going for a sunken look at all, but because I was a little too generous with my board measurements, it ended up being sunken. I'm glad, because it'll help keep the 4-year-old out of the pond, and might just help keep blowing debris out of it too. I was so endlessly frustrated with what to do with that waterfall, but I may be able to put a few rocks around it now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
It will actually keep it cooler as the wood on the outside heats up it will not go through and heat up the dirt ,You can't use fiberglass it has to be ridged insulation.The other will absorb water .I use foam core or the pink or blue foam board

Hmm. If it's rigid I don't suspect it's going to bend around the curves of the circle too well.

Edit: Oh. I just realized. The insulation goes on the inside of the wood. Got it.

Ask a Question