Help with tadpoles

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel just horrible I could cry. I didn't know my backyard pond pump would kill all my tadpoles now they're all gone and there were hundreds. do you think that the frogs will lay more eggs and have a chance at getting some more of them. I live in the mountains of Northern California

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
They will return in favorable conditions. Doubt your pump chased them off or killed them. I have a small porch pond with a fountain pump that doesn't bother the tadpoles. The frogs pass through the neighborhood and spawn in the small pond. Tadpoles everywhere. Then they grow and leave seeking their fame and fortune. Does your pump have a filter or some sort of screen on the intake? By the way @ribbit, welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They may just be hiding, or did you get freezing temps? I do not have any tadpoles yet. Just one skinny frog has showed up.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Howdyfrog33-1.gif
and welcome @ribbit

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is why one frog lays 100's of eggs by nature , its survival by theres thousands in masses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maybe. It's getting towards the end of the breeding season here in SoCal for our local tree frogs.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Did you find tadpoles sucked into your filter, or you’re just assuming?
I’ve never had a problem with tadpoles getting into the pump, but I have my pump in a mesh “pump bag.” Sometimes, just when you think they’re gone, they’ve actually already begun to morph into little toadlets or froglets.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They may just be hiding, or did you get freezing temps? I do not have any tadpoles yet. Just one skinny frog has showed up.
Hello and welcome. Did you find tadpoles sucked into your filter, or you’re just assuming?
I’ve never had a problem with tadpoles getting into the pump, but I have my pump in a mesh “pump bag.” Sometimes, just when you think they’re gone, they’ve actually already begun to morph into little toadlets or froglets.
thats very helpful thank you. i am just assuming so maybe they are hiding. my pond has been so alive with frogs every night it sounds wonderful I'm hoping that they'll be okay I'm going to check again tomorrow I appreciate your help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe. It's getting towards the end of the breeding season here in SoCal for our local tree frogs.
yeah the tadpoles have really gotten bigger and are swimming around like crazy. I think it's about time they're going to start changing into frogs. I just love having them out there I would hate to have them gone. they sound wonderful every night. thank you for your help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I cater to our local frogs. (Baja California Tree frog, Pacific Chorus frog, Pacific Treefrog).

I have several 18 gallon tubs of water and a few smaller saucers, a 64 gallon, and a 150 gallon *pond*--all for frogs. I have thousands of tadpoles. I have been transferring the ones in the saucers to the larger ponds.

They usually start singing in November and they are still singing now in late March.

I have tadpoles near maturity. Possibly some have turned to frogs. I also have some tiny ones maybe a week old.

The chorus may be a mating call so the fact they are still singing may be an indication they are still breeding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
A year or two ago, we had tons of frog eggs and many tadpoles. We are assuming they were baby tree frogs, since we have so many of those here. One day, they were just gone. Poof. Disappeared! Not a single one to be found. They are mysterious little critters.

Ask a Question