Hi Everyone new to this and new pond up and running. Any advice would be great. TY

Stewart Esox

Pond and garden folly
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

Just got my pond up and running in the last few month. 7x7 by 5ft Deep.
Any body know what plants i can plant on the bottom ??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and colleen in Canada can really help you with your plants for your special weather conditions .She just did a new pond 5 ft deep also .She lives in Medicine Hat

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Would love to see pictures if you have any you could share. We like to see what others' ponds look like, and it might also help us answer your question if we can see what you have to work with.

Do you have fish?

Is the bottom of your pond bare; do you have rocks.....? Or are you wanting to use pots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Stewart. My pond is about the same size and is about 4-4.5 ft deep. A few years ago one of my lilies fell to the bottom and I thought well nothing will ever happen and it will die in the winter. Well that plant has taken off and I dropped another one to the bottom too. My lilies grow fantastic and they get natural fertilizer from the fish. Now every day I get one or two new flowers and about 1/2 dozen new leaves shoot up in my 9x9 pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Stewart,
Welcome, you live in a nice part of the country. Please post some photos of your pond.

In the UK, I'd recommend https://www.pondplants.co.uk/index.php
They're based at the southern end of the Malvern Hills, and it's a business that has grown out of a hobby. Unfortunately, they don't open their premises to visitors any more, which is sad because they're in a picturesque location. Roger, the owner is really passionate about water lillies, and knows his subject inside out. As well as lillies, they also supply all sorts of plants, and have quite a range of native plants, including deep water species.

I have lillies I bought from them over 15 years ago still going strong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
5 foot is quite deep - and if you're not in direct sunlight the plants might struggle a bit. I'm in that situation myself, partial shade during most of the day. My go-to source for plants is http://www.lilieswatergardens.co.uk/ - really good prices. I think Simon has the largest variety of waterlillies available in the UK, damn nice guy too.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
5 feet is pretty deep, but if you put a small shelf making it 3 feet deep, then you can put pretty much anything on the shelf. I used a slab of slate on some boulders and have a potted water lily on my shelf.

Ask a Question