Hi from Ireland, need advice on which fish?

paulireland

Reaction score
First off hi all !! :surprised:

I'm new to ponds and fish keeping but i am addicted all ready :goldfish:
I have almost finished my pond and would love some advice on how many and what type of fish to get? I'll give you guys some info to work with.

My pond:

Bermuda Reef Pre-formed Pond = 9'2" long 4'7" wide 1'10" deep, 149 Gallons /1100 litres
Blagdon Mini Pond 2000 Pump
Blagdon Mini Pond 4500 UV Filter

I will soon be adding lilies and other plants.

I know my pond is is on the small side/ Shallow side. I love koi and was wondering can I keep any given how limited my pond is. I am hoping to build and far deeper/bigger pond in a few years but this will do for now. I am hoping to get sarasa comets and goldfish.

So any advice ? :razz: Thanks Paul O and great site guys!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
smileywelcome687.gif
Glad you joined

With that size of pond, stick with a few goldfish, shubunkins etc.

Post some pictures so we can see your set up.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome_cat.gif
Paul
I agree, stick w/ the Sarassa comets and Shubbies and other goldies. Wait till you actually build the bigger pond to get the koi.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would not put any more than 5 in a pond that size. They will grow, some can reach 12 inches or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome to the Forum!!!
When you go shopping for fish, pick fish that stand out from the crowd. Since you only get to choose a few, make them be VERY special! Long tails are very beautiful to watch flowing as they swim (Comets have longer tails than common Goldfish) and Sarassas (red and white colorations) can be really striking in their color patterns! Shubunkins are calicos - white, red, black and all combinations - speckled, blotchy, lots of one color, little of another, etc. Think of looking down at the fish, rather that looking at them from the side of an aquarium when you purchase them, too.
Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your pics and take pics of the fish BEFORE you put them in your pond, as that is the best time to get a really good picture of their color.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!!!

Yep go with just a few comets, sarasa and shubi's. I have a 5000-6000 gallon pond and that is all I have. They are amazing to sit and watch :) Good fishies.

paulireland

Reaction score
well long time no see guys , I have finally got the pond finished after leaving it like a mess for months,

i got the fish in last week and here's what I got :

3 x sarasa comets 6"
3 x blue orfe 3-4"
1 x golden tench 3-4"
1 x grass carp 3-4"

I also got pond plants also :

3 x lillypad plants
2 x reed bushs
1 x oxygenator
and 2 maraginal plants

let me know what you think guys

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and remember you may have babies also so hope you can find someone to take some off your hands ..Do you have well water and hoping you say yes .

paulireland

Reaction score
yea no probs with babies half my friends and family would take them,

i dont have well water in my pond but i did fill it with rainwater and is constantly filtering, the fish are very active and eating well! ( ive had them 2 weeks now).

although i did notice 1 of the comets constantly chasing the largest comet , would this be mating?

also the smallest comet is chasing the tench quite alot too!

thanks guys great forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, fast workers those Comets are! Not sure what a trench is, can you post some pics of your fish? It's always fun to take pics before you put them in the pond, to have for reference later on as to what their size was initially. Good luck with everything! Sounds like you have it all set up. We would love to see some pics of it all. :)

Ask a Question