Hoses in the ground?

Reaction score
How's everyone doing? I just found this website as I recently bought a house that has a small pond on it. Among other things I want to go with it over time I'm sure this site will be very helpful! However, I've noticed there are 3 regular type green garden hoses buried in the ground that stick out about 4 feet at 3 locations around the pond. Any idea what they are for?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guajiro
Don't know what they used the hoses for other then water,lol, maybe just for convenience in watering plants or filling the pond or? Are they hooked up to a water faucet...........any of them? Like I said they could be just extensions for hooking up another hose that is connected to a faucet to make easier access to those particular areas.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep cheap way to maybe water .Not sure where your pump is located .

Reaction score
This is what they all look like my pump isn't anywhere near the pond.

Attachments

• 20140814_183701.jpg
    20140814_183701.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 297

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could have used them for sprinklers I buried 2 hoses that go to gardens in my yard .

Reaction score
Hmm the other 2 aren't in any garden like areas. Wouldn't a sprinkler need a pump? Sorry I'm new to all this... grew up in a city and finally moved to the country.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
A sprinkler is attached to a hose, which is attached to a hose bib (also known as a spigot or faucet). You run the sprinkler off of your house's water supply. If you have a water supply, such as a creek, by your house, you could use a pump (though that may be against local water use regulations) to supply the sprinkler, but that would be much more uncommon than connecting to a hose bib.

Or are you envisioning a pond water feature when sissy mentioned sprinklers? In that case, a pond water feature would run off of a pump.

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I envisioned. The hoses aren't near anything resembling a garden. Just seems weird to me...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome!

Do you know how big the pond is? Does it have anything at all attached to it or going to/coming from it -- like hoses, electric cords, tubing? Does it currently have water in it?

Have you tried [carefully] digging up one of these mystery hoses to see where they originate? The snoop in me would have done that already, though I do stress doing it carefully! If your ground is hard, you could try a little soak before you dig.

Also, the snoop in me would love to see a little drawing of your yard to include the pond, your house [and any water sources], as well as the hoses -- It doesn't matter if you can draw well or not -- I'm just interested in seeing the layout. Did I mention that I'm a snoop.......? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
An actual snoop? Lol

That's the pond. I can do a sketch by tomorrow?

And I haven't dug anything up.

Attachments

• IMG_54881206138980.jpeg
    IMG_54881206138980.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 261

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
An actual snoop? Lol

That's the pond. I can do a sketch by tomorrow?

And I haven't dug anything up.

Yep, an official SNOOP -- I love a good mystery!

I don't know why I was thinking this was a small pond -- that's not a small pond, LOL! I'll be waiting for your sketch :)

Reaction score
Managed to create something on a paint app lol.

It isn't Picasso but you get the idea. The red dots denote the hoses. The green are trees then the pond should be obvious the black lines are the house. And the white is just yard which isn't really grass it's dirt, grass and weeds.

Attachments

• 1408072963.jpg
    1408072963.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 227

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Managed to create something on a paint app lol.

It isn't Picasso but you get the idea. The red dots denote the hoses. The green are trees then the pond should be obvious the black lines are the house. And the white is just yard which isn't really grass it's dirt, grass and weeds.
No clue...... Try digging one up -- they have to go SOMEwhere!

Ask a Question