How to Correctly Net Fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 submitted a new article:

How to correctly let fish - with as little stress

There are two ways to net a koi or goldfish the wrong way and the right way .
If you put the net in and start chasing your fish your doing one thing and thats causing your fish to suffer undue stress thus fish is primed to escape this threat and it will actively thrash about trying to find its way back into the pond and have been known to jump clear over your shoulder (it happemed to me once) .
This is dangerous and is most likely when netting damage can and often does occur , often times...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Good read. When I had to take Gracie out of the pond, I used a pillow case. She went right in it. That was just to take her out and put her in the pool right behind the pond, short trip. I have a pool skimmer net, it's blue. I use that to get stuff out of the pond. Every time I put that in the pond, the fish are are over it, doesn't seem to threaten them. But, put a regular net in there and they all scatter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx Sunshine fish have brains though be they a tad different than ours they can and do learn , I've never seen a fish caught in a pillow case before now you'll have to You Tube it :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Dave 54 Good article :)

How are you adding air to the bags?

Are the fish fasted before being bagged and transported?

What do you use to clean your nets?

I know the article is about netting a fish but these questions came to mind as I was reading through it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Dave 54 Good article :)

How are you adding air to the bags?

Are the fish fasted before being bagged and transported?

What do you use to clean your nets?

I know the article is about netting a fish but these questions came to mind as I was reading through it.
Have made the changes needed for greater understanding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That was when I would do a complete clean out of the pond. I don't do it any more. She was 23 inches than. Too big for any net I had. I read it somewhere about using a pillow case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That was when I would do a complete clean out of the pond. I don't do it any more. She was 23 inches than. Too big for any net I had. I read it somewhere about using a pillow case.
You'd do much better with a pan cakenet on sock net Sunshine .

Dave

Ask a Question