Pond Netting Project.

Reaction score
I had posted earlier about having a heron visiting my pond. I had the fishing wire “fence”… But needing a way to gate through the fence on the bridge was a pain. And getting a 9 year old to not forget to put the fishing line gate back each time wasn’t working. So I finished up the netting project this weekend. It’s worked out great. The whole basic layout matches what I did years back when that 9 year old was just walking…and we didn’t want him swimming… but that was made from 2x4 and wire fencing. Not pretty but he could have walked across the pond if he wanted to.

So on this updated version… the frame is made from black anodized aluminum tubing with the plastic corner joints. There are several companies that sell this stuff for misc display/manufacturing needs. You can just give them your cut lengths and get it all ready to go for the most part. Being aluminum … the whole thing is actually very light. So the larger section to the left of the bridge is probably less then 10 lbs. I have the short little legs on the outside and then stainless L brackets on the deck side. So the both sections can just drop down into place.

If I need to net the water, I can just lift the smaller section (right of the bridge) out of the way completely …and then for the larger section (left of the bridge) you can see the stainless hinges running between sides… that lets me lift the right portion up like a trap door to get to the water. I initially didn’t have that cross beam splitting it… but once you get the netting on … and pull if nice and taught… it starts to pull the frame out of square quite a bit. If you made it from welded steel… you wouldn’t have this issue.

The netting is 1x1 square netting that is using for sporting needs and should hold up to the sun. The last photo shows how I attached it. I used a billion self taping stainless screws. Half way through I realized that I should have bought small flat aluminum bar or something to thread the netting though, pull it taught, and then just have to screw that bar down in a few spots onto my frame. But… that’s in hindsight.

Overall it looks good and the net only flexes about an inch or so in the middle when I put 5 lbs on it. So that should keep the dang herons at bay! I know most people have more natural looking ponds…. But maybe someone can get an idea from this.

Attachments

• IMG_1844.JPG
    IMG_1844.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1846.JPG
    IMG_1846.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1845.JPG
    IMG_1845.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 274
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, I've been wanting to do something like this for ages!! Do you think it could work for an unlevel, irregularly shaped pond?

I too am in the Cincinnati area, where did you source your materials?

Reaction score
I got the pipe from Eagle Aluminum.

Unlevel and irregular! I suppose it would work if you wouldn't mind a square/rectangular frame over it My pond is only 8x9 in the largest area... so the framing works out to support the netting nice and taught. If you have a larger pond, you would need to have the frame secured to the ground.

As an alternate plan, I was thinking to just using 1" black steel pipe (that you can get at HD)... making a rail on the outside of the pond... then run the net from that to a series of hooks on the deck side.... but having to unhook the net would be a pain.
Do you have any pictures of your pond set up... i can brainstorm!

Reaction score
I had to mail order. Another Cincy resident I see

You might be able to get clear anodized square tube locally. Display/sign places might carry it or be able to get it in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I got the pipe from Eagle Aluminum.

Unlevel and irregular! I suppose it would work if you wouldn't mind a square/rectangular frame over it My pond is only 8x9 in the largest area... so the framing works out to support the netting nice and taught. If you have a larger pond, you would need to have the frame secured to the ground.

As an alternate plan, I was thinking to just using 1" black steel pipe (that you can get at HD)... making a rail on the outside of the pond... then run the net from that to a series of hooks on the deck side.... but having to unhook the net would be a pain.
Do you have any pictures of your pond set up... i can brainstorm!

This give you an idea by what I mean when I say "Irregular ". The pond is only 1700 gallons, so not very big. The waterfall present a challenge. For winter I set cement blocks on top of the water fall and run 16 ft. sections of boards fanned out, then cover with a solar cover. I'm embarrassed to admit, it's still set up that way with a net, as we've had so much tree debris this season ......not attractive !
IMG_1596.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You are getting heron issues? or just debris?
Truthfully I've been keeping the net on due to a lot of tree debris this season. I do have a sail cloth over the pond and a fence, but understand a net is the only full proof heron deterrent. We also have 3 newfound lad dogs, who chased a heron away once and it hasn't returned.

For me, having a net up full time would be two fold, heron deterrent and keep debris out of pond.

Reaction score
If it's mainly for debris... do you have a pond vac? I got a craigslist one last year.. and I am so happy i did. It makes cleaning the pond so easy... leaves... muck... small rocks... etc... all gone while just standing next to the pond. Not having to net the bottom is the best.

Tahoe... you west chester... middletown... ? how far north are you as a Cincy denier!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great job @Nevermore44 , I might do something like that to cover my new pond.
Thanks for sharing!

Ask a Question