addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine just get sugar water, never any dye and they inhale it. They also say not to make it too heavy on the sugar side, i.e. add extra that it is hard on the birds kidneys.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I know I'm bit weird, but I always feel bad giving white sugar to the hummingbirds. I avoid it myself. But I've never found a replacement. In fact they say the raw sugar has too much iron for the birds from the extra molasses. So it's white sugar and water for now I guess!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just looked at the hummingbird map and wow they're moving fast! Looks like they'll be here sometime next week!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I saw my first a few days ago... zoomed right up by my ear and scared the crap out of me! I immediately went out and bought a feeder, filled it and hung it... the little guy came back and found it within an hour of hanging it. Looking forward to a summer filled with hummingbirds!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only reason I add dye to mine is that it helps me see the level better.

Got one feeder out the other day. No sightings, yet, but I could have sworn I heard that characteristic sound they make when they fly by!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I saw my first a few days ago... zoomed right up by my ear and scared the crap out of me!

Had one buzz over my head last year while I was trimming my Mexican Sunflowers. The bass from their buzz is pretty impressive when they are that close.

Ask a Question