Hundreds of tadpoles what to do

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So this morn I walk out to find hundreds of tadpoles. My pond cant sustain hundreds of frogs. What can I do. Why aren't my koi feasting on them. I may have to become cruel because I don't want hundreds of frogs

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get thousands of eggs and tads, never are overloaded with adults.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
if you have creeks near you put them in a bucket and relocate them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I remember having long strings of frog eggs. Many tadpoles were eaten and like Meyer stated, most will move on. Our frogs are seasonal. We also have a large population of Gambusia's.
"Hey bro good to see you back as you know I've had to take alot of time off myself this year":happy:
As to the question of frogs...... the koi should eat most of the tadpoles [perhaps you have so many that they cannot make a dint in the tadpole population because of th shear number]..........

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If the Skeeter fish get to out of control, I'll put a blue Gill in there. Ponds are a never ending balance game. We can't replicate the perfection of nature

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The year we put in our pond I waited a few months to put in my koi. In that time, roughly early June, thousands upon thousands (or so it sounded) of tree frogs established residency and laid a bazillion eggs. I mostly let it go, but because I didn't have fish yet, the tree frogs loved our place and felt free to do whatever without fear. I too was worried I would always have a billion tree frogs drowing out my tv at night. Not to worry. This year, with 6 koi on guard, there might be a few lonely tree frogs around. They are still calling out for mates, but two vs two million makes quite a difference. Thank you fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a small pond that links to a bigger pond via waterfall and stream. I turn off my waterfall in the fall and cover the big pond.
the small pond is drained but through the winter it fills with rain water and the tree frogs start their orgy. by early spring there are hundreds of tadpoles. befor I start the waterfall the small pond is cleaned and the tadpoles are removed and relocated to a stock tank in my orchard where I keep lilies. I love those little guys.

Ask a Question