hydrogen peroxide 3% in fish ponds ??

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Meyer for telling me that - I think I read about bacteria dying off at 10 C in a very respectable
book - maybe the late K. Fisher monumental book on ponds. I remember the book said also you
can wash off your bio filter in late fall with the garden hose as bacteria is on death row anyway.

In depth scientific research into the Nitrogen cycle over the past decade or so has shown that this is absolutely not the case. With the discoveries, that NItrogen oxidation is accomplished by taxa other than primarily Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter, the lower temperature range of this oxidation is much lower than previously thought, One example is the discovery of Nitrotoga arctica that actively oxidizes Nitrite at temperatures as low as 5C.

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
Stupid raccoons. The aesthetics of your pond is nice, hope you can get it worked out. Is the skimmer an Oais and all of the plumbing is in-pond with just the one pump?
Is it possible to make a bypass to the waterfall so in the future you can let the water circulate longer into the cold season without the concern of the falls freezing?

Yes, it's Oasie skimmer & matching pump and mostly works like clockwork , Because fish will probably stay during winter in the deep end opposite the shallow waterfall end , and there is aerator , I did not think keeping
the waterfall working in winter have any advantage, but maybe keeping it going for the bio filter alone so the bacteria will stay oxygenated and alive make sense - you have it ready to go in the spring and not have to wait
6 weeks to mature and be effective. Maybe . Maybe I should get off my lazy boy and finish that water course
so i could operate it all winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
East side seirra's 4500' high desert. Gets to 20's some teens.
Country
United States
Another year with nothing added, no algae, no fish issues.

Ask a Question