I found a baby fish today!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi all! I found a baby fish by itself near my plants today. Seemed happy eating up algae and what not... I believe it is a shubunkin. Its orange and black (the black is spotted). I had no idea any of my fish were carrying any eggs.
Since this little 1 inch fish is hanging around my plants on one side where the others do not really go (no room for them in there i guess)... do you think any of my larger koi (about 7 and a half inches long) will think its a treat and eat the baby?

I am a total newbie and very excited to see this! I realize this is old news to people who are more experienced.

I got some really nice cellphone pics and will put them in my gallery later today :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It should be ok, they are really good at hiding when small, and it seems the fish see it as a fish once it is that size.

Reaction score
I just spotted 6 or more baby koi in my pond this weekend, was able to net two of them easily & place them in a tank I had set up.
I knew they spawned but wasnt sure any of the eggs had survived, as I didnt try to save them, i guess they did.
It"s the first time I've had young ones in my pond also, very cool! I am happy! lol
Not sure they are going to be "beauties" but I'll keep em! :goldfish:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
beauty is in the eye of the beholder . :razz: all babies are cute

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My shubunkin is about 2 and a half inches long now. it comes around when I feed the others but it doesnt swim around with them yet. Its getting used to me being around with my hand/arm in the water lol

Ask a Question