I just dont understand

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I do 80% water changes in my aquariums every few weeks and it does not negatively impact my fish. I wonder if you have had a large PH swing? Are the fish handing out near the filter return where the water may have more oxygen?
I used to do a 70% waterchange on our 6 x 2 x 2.5 tank which held 1 ton of water or 220 gallons imperial diesilplower 80% is pushing it a tad what size tanks are we on about ?
But thats each to there own if it works for you however you may well be on to something here if the answer is yes most probably parasitic

Dave

Reaction score
I used to do a 70% waterchange on our 6 x 2 x 2.5 tank which held 1 ton of water or 220 gallons imperial diesilplower 80% is pushing it a tad what size tanks are we on about ?
But thats each to there own if it works for you however you may well be on to something here if the answer is yes most probably parasitic

Dave
125 and 40 gallon. Well water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My guess is low oxygen. By doing a 50% water change you added a lot of non oxygenated water. It was probably low to begin with and you compounded the problem with the water change. I never change more than 15-20% of my water in a 24 hour period. A good rule of thumb to have good gas exchange at the water surface is you shouldn't have more than 1 inch of average size fish per sq ft of surface area. If your water is highly oxygenated and moving you can try for more fish.

Reaction score
My guess is low oxygen. By doing a 50% water change you added a lot of non oxygenated water. It was probably low to begin with and you compounded the problem with the water change. I never change more than 15-20% of my water in a 24 hour period. A good rule of thumb to have good gas exchange at the water surface is you shouldn't have more than 1 inch of average size fish per sq ft of surface area. If your water is highly oxygenated and moving you can try for more fish.

I have always ASSUMED that added water would be higher in oxygen. I suppose I could be wrong, but I doubt it. The process of splashing the new water into the pond alone would create oxygen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too thought fresh water was higher in O2, especially if it splashed the water surface vigorously. We once had a power outage for a week and I was forced to sustain my pond on daily water changes that way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
in the pond there are about 7 or 8 babies from last year that im trying to get rid of (its happening slowly) and a larger comet and calico fantail all about 3-4 inches in length. The pump is driving the filter at several hundred gallons an hour. Tonight, before leaving for work i noticed the water was sort of cloudy like a transparaent white almost but no gasping. In the am, im going to get an airstone and find something to put in the water return to give it more of a splash to further oxygentaion.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Have you used any cleaners in your pond or placed any items that may have had chemicals or such on them?

Could your hands have had any foreign material on them when you worked in your pond?

What was the approximate air temperature when the incident began?

What is the depth range of your pond?

Are there any rocks in your pond? Any added recently?

Could any dirt entered your pond? If so what?

If you have pets, could one have gone in your pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could some one have been spraying stuff around your neighbor hood also that could have been blown into your pond .I know when they were clearing land here I had to cover my pond with a tarp and when they were spraying weed killer around the power towers here I had to also cover it .You could smell the weed killer all the way to my house because of the wind

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
i havent seen any pesticides being used by neighbors or in the neighborhood. Its a preform from Lowes bought several years ago in the shape of a kidney so depth range is anywhere from 18-24 inches and on this morning the air temp was cool at 0530 with no wind at all. No dirt except some new aqautic planting media added with a new iris. No cleaners were used and the pet is an indoor canine that has to stay on a leash at all times while outdoors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey diesel.I used to think that too but changed my after learning more about it. It's been a while since I have looked at the issue and was going by memory so i could be wrong. I'll try to look this up but I remember at one time someone telling me that water added to a pond is never as oxygenated as the water you are removing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I hadnt done one in a while. The water change was done yesterday morning and im noticing the fish gasping this morning. Ive got to check parameters also.
You should really make it routine to do water changes Prissysdad we do a 40% water change once a week every week the water perameters are tested weekly
I have always ASSUMED that added water would be higher in oxygen. I suppose I could be wrong, but I doubt it. The process of splashing the new water into the pond alone would create oxygen.
You are indeed correct in that assumption my friend it is higher in oxygen this is why a sound bit of advice in the K.O.I waterproof guide book says this " fishes health usually improved with increased water changes, for an unknown problem do a large water change " , thats sound advice indeed .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just an update..looked into the pond this morning and all the fish are still going and no gasping noted. Adding an airstone in a bit to help increase the oxygen. Thank you all for your help!!! No more large water changes and now to get a water test kit!!

Ask a Question