I just dont understand

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Problem: After doing a water change, and moving Thalia into a different section of the pond, my fish in one pond are gasping at the surface. Filtration and water movement is pretty strong. The pond is a 50 gallon kidney pond with a few comets in it. Doing a water change, would that upset the nitrogen cycle causing a spike in ammonia? The filtration is a pondmaster filter and pump that turns over the pond pretty quick (I forget how many gallons it does). The water change was a 50% change. Did I get to rambunctious on my water change?? Should I do a smaller change now to see if that will help? Anything I can add to ease the stress on the fish??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I hadnt done one in a while. The water change was done yesterday morning and im noticing the fish gasping this morning. Ive got to check parameters also.

Reaction score
I do 80% water changes in my aquariums every few weeks and it does not negatively impact my fish. I wonder if you have had a large PH swing? Are the fish handing out near the filter return where the water may have more oxygen?

Reaction score
Do you have a lot of carpet algae on the sides of the pond? Algae , at night, will obsorb oxygen from the pond, sometimes leaving the fish gulping at the surface. Do you have a spiter or an aerator you could put in there?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could be air on the surface but not down at the bottom .I had a stock tank like that .Baby fish were all at the top I thought maybe I needed a water change .It was not that .So I added 2 air stones to the bottom of the tank and by next day every thing was fine

Ask a Question