I moved my last reply from introduction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks. The last pond i built was about 20 years ago.With the help from all of you a don't know what the best filtration systems are. Online i see a combination of waterfall and filtration. For a small pond like in my avatar i would like a filter that is easy to maintain and will give me crystal clear water. I will also add a UV light.
Recommendations will be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Installer want's to use a waterfall/filter combo. I don't want a filter that needs constant cleaning.
I think the pond will be about 200 Gal.I kinder like this one. Or a small sand filter.

Attachments

• 220.png
    220.png
    260.8 KB · Views: 177
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. I use a laguna filter that is similar. You never need to open it during the season. You just turn the nozzle and work the scrubbers and it back flushes out the gunk. Good luck on crystal clear water... easier said than done!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CometKeith which one and size do you have exactly? I may be looking for one like that also.
Hi JW. This is the one I have. https://www.azponds.com/pondsupplie...re-flo-filters-with-24-watts-uv-3000-gallons/ It's for 3000 gallons. I have been happy with all my Laguna equipment and all my pumps are Laguna too. That's funny you mention it because i have small problem with it and was going to mention it on my Goldfish pond blog and took a picture earlier today. When I installed it in the spring I pointed the discharge nozzle facing my garage and can't connect a tube to it because it's too tight to the garage. I cant lift it or turn it without removing water so I can't clean it. I was actually thinking of dumping some of the water out this weekend so I could turn it.
IMG_20180914_153359166.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
...I don't want a filter that needs constant cleaning.

All filters need constant cleaning, that the point of having a filter - it removes excess organic material from your pond so nuisance algae doesn't take over your pond. Even plant filters need pruning.
a no-filter pond your size would have perhaps 1 or 2 minnows, a planted bottom and a small amount of water trickling through the pond on a regular basis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
After digesting all of the above info i can't seem to find a filter for a 200 gal pond. Laguna's smallest is 1000 gal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi. I use a laguna filter that is similar. You never need to open it during the season. You just turn the nozzle and work the scrubbers and it back flushes out the gunk. Good luck on crystal clear water... easier said than done!
I can't find one for less then 1000 Gal.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

You could just use a pre-filter set up like this one for that small of a pond if you don't mind reaching in and pulling it out to clean. I pull mine out maybe once a month in Spring/Summer, less in Fall and take it out in Winter. Just use a power nozzle on the end of my garden hose to clean the pads.
upload_2018-9-15_11-42-18.jpeg

I have this one in my 2400 gal pond:

upload_2018-9-15_11-42-44.jpeg

upload_2018-9-15_11-43-7.jpeg

I bought two here to connect together: https://webbsonline.com/Item/Matala-EZ-Bio-Mechanical-Pre-Filter-99990

They have a smaller size also.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi JW. This is the one I have. https://www.azponds.com/pondsupplie...re-flo-filters-with-24-watts-uv-3000-gallons/ It's for 3000 gallons. I have been happy with all my Laguna equipment and all my pumps are Laguna too. That's funny you mention it because i have small problem with it and was going to mention it on my Goldfish pond blog and took a picture earlier today. When I installed it in the spring I pointed the discharge nozzle facing my garage and can't connect a tube to it because it's too tight to the garage. I cant lift it or turn it without removing water so I can't clean it. I was actually thinking of dumping some of the water out this weekend so I could turn it.View attachment 115732

I think if I buy one I might buy the 4000 one. Webb's has a sale going on and also a $50 gift cert and free replacement pads. I've got quite a few goldfish in my pond and the crud can really build up. Silly you pointing that discharge so close to your brick,lol! Glad it's just a matter of taking out some water and turning it instead of having to dig it all up!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@CometKeith Is the Laguna Pressure filter you bought running on it's own or did you connect it to another pump as they suggested at azponds? I do have the Laguna Max Flo waterfall and filter pump already.

They suggested:

The Pressure-Flo filters are designed to work in tandem with a solids handling pump, such as the Laguna Max-Flo Waterfall and filter pump. With the filter connected to the pump, water enters the unit through a water inlet. It then passes through the mechanical filtration stage, consisting of highly durable foam filters that intercept and trap dirt and debris.

Dirt-free water then passes along an integrated UV-C lamp, where it is exposed to ultraviolet rays that inhibit the growth of algae. Finally, water returns to the pond thoroughly cleansed. This patented system is the only one of its kind. Backwash cleaning can easily and comfortably be completed in a few minutes without opening the lid. This feature ensures that the filter performs at optimal levels for many days and prolongs the time between full maintenance sessions. An easy-to-view cleaning indicator signals when it’s time to perform backwash cleaning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CometKeith Is the Laguna Pressure filter you bought running on it's own or did you connect it to another pump as they suggested at azponds? I do have the Laguna Max Flo waterfall and filter pump already.

They suggested:

The Pressure-Flo filters are designed to work in tandem with a solids handling pump, such as the Laguna Max-Flo Waterfall and filter pump. With the filter connected to the pump, water enters the unit through a water inlet. It then passes through the mechanical filtration stage, consisting of highly durable foam filters that intercept and trap dirt and debris.

Dirt-free water then passes along an integrated UV-C lamp, where it is exposed to ultraviolet rays that inhibit the growth of algae. Finally, water returns to the pond thoroughly cleansed. This patented system is the only one of its kind. Backwash cleaning can easily and comfortably be completed in a few minutes without opening the lid. This feature ensures that the filter performs at optimal levels for many days and prolongs the time between full maintenance sessions. An easy-to-view cleaning indicator signals when it’s time to perform backwash cleaning.
Hi JW. Yes I use a Laguna 2000 pump with it. If you don't use a pump it will just sit there with no water going in and out. The only thing electronic is the UV lights. Also I use a pretty big tubes for inlets and outlets to keep the water flowing. Oh and I fixed my filter today. It was so easy! I just took the cover off of it and turned it so the nozzle faces away from the garage. I didn't have to lift up the filter at all. I cleaned all the sponge filters inside while I was doing that. I got a couple of buckets of pond water and rinsed them out so as to not have any chlorinated water touch the filter media.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I see you are right. I always feel more filtration is better, but this is probably more than you need. My first kit was only $150 on sale from $200. It included a pump, filter, liners, and tubes. It was a pretty good deal but I grew out of that pretty fast. I bought it from a home improvement store about 10 years ago,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think if I buy one I might buy the 4000 one. Webb's has a sale going on and also a $50 gift cert and free replacement pads. I've got quite a few goldfish in my pond and the crud can really build up. Silly you pointing that discharge so close to your brick,lol! Glad it's just a matter of taking out some water and turning it instead of having to dig it all up!
Definitely. I was so proud of myself for changing the UV light that I cracked the year before I didn't even think about the nozzle!

Ask a Question