Ideas for weir for my bog

Reaction score
Country
United States
Make sense. I'll use flex pipe coming in from the top then.
I think he's saying not to use a bulkhead for the outflow. I imagine it's better to use some type of spillway...

For me, I have a 1" inlet from my pump, with a 2" bulkhead outflow. Inside the bog is a Y so that there are 2 different outflows. Each has a section of gutter guard rolled up in it to try prevent any chance the whole pipe is clogged by a leaf or such... The second one is a bit higher then the first, so it only starts getting used if the first starts backing up.

I don't believe the backup pipe has been used.

Is it as safe as a spillway? Probably not, but a heck of a lot easier to setup initially.
20230616_080134.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
I think he's saying not to use a bulkhead for the outflow. I imagine it's better to use some type of spillway...

For me, I have a 1" inlet from my pump, with a 2" bulkhead outflow. Inside the bog is a Y so that there are 2 different outflows. Each has a section of gutter guard rolled up in it to try prevent any chance the whole pipe is clogged by a leaf or such... The second one is a bit higher then the first, so it only starts getting used if the first starts backing up.

I don't believe the backup pipe has been used.

Is it as safe as a spillway? Probably not, but a heck of a lot easier to setup initially.
View attachment 158569
Oh I misunderstood. I thought GBBUDD's suggestion was that cutting the spillway will compromise the strength of the tub so bulkhead overflow is better.
Is your overflow pipe tilted so that the bulkhead is hided in the pea gravel?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Correct. How ever there are many who do use bulkeds and I'd bet each one has a story to go with it of a issue or close call

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh I misunderstood. I thought GBBUDD's suggestion was that cutting the spillway will compromise the strength of the tub so bulkhead overflow is better.
Cutting the edge/rim of those Rubbermaid tubs will lessen it's strength but I doubt to the point it would fail. Unless you really cut a lot.

Myself I'd go with EPDM over a tub but to each there own.

I would probably cut it and make a weir but leaving the rim in tact untill I saw there was no weakening the tub. Then make a weir in the same manner as applying a skimmer to the liner with termination strips adhesives a rubber or seaming materials.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I saw people in other forums did that (plumb through the drain plug). So I assume it could be done, but not sure if it's better the old way.
It is technically possible. The drain plug is 1.25” npt. What kinda pump/ target flow rate into the bog? I have a bog with 2” bulkhead inlet and 2x out. Only about 800gph flow through the bog.

When i crank it up, it can overflow, and if there was an obstruction it would overflow like GBBUDD says. If i was more handy I would have attached a waterfall weir somehow.

Heres a link to my build if it helps

Reaction score
Country
United States
yes, there is a downward slope . The bulkhead is just out of the shot to the lower right and is completely under the water/gravel. There is some adjustment to the water level, by rotating those elbows, the opening of the elbow can be raised or lowered by an inch or two. The walls of the tank are not perfectly straight up and down, so there will be a natural angle to the pipe going through.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
It is technically possible. The drain plug is 1.25” npt. What kinda pump/ target flow rate into the bog? I have a bog with 2” bulkhead inlet and 2x out. Only about 800gph flow through the bog.

When i crank it up, it can overflow, and if there was an obstruction it would overflow like GBBUDD says. If i was more handy I would have attached a waterfall weir somehow.

Heres a link to my build if it helps
Nice work! and I love reading your build -- finally a post that lists out all the parts in the pictures and better yet with a link to where to buy each. Very helpful to ones like me (who knows little if not nothing about plumbing).

If it's 800gph for your 100gallon bog, I am looking at 2 or 3 300gallon bogs, so I'll probably use 4000~6000gph pump and split the flow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
yes, there is a downward slope . The bulkhead is just out of the shot to the lower right and is completely under the water/gravel. There is some adjustment to the water level, by rotating those elbows, the opening of the elbow can be raised or lowered by an inch or two. The walls of the tank are not perfectly straight up and down, so there will be a natural angle to the pipe going through.
Good idea. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Nice work! and I love reading your build -- finally a post that lists out all the parts in the pictures and better yet with a link to where to buy each. Very helpful to ones like me (who knows little if not nothing about plumbing).

If it's 800gph for your 100gallon bog, I am looking at 2 or 3 300gallon bogs, so I'll probably use 4000~6000gph pump and split the flow

For the water returns back to pond, if you don’t use a weir, uniseals might work, big bulkheads get expensive. Especially good quality 3” or 4” ones. The gravity flow rate through 3-4” pipe is really high and much less likely to clog than 2” like I used.

Ask a Question