In desperate help. Fish wont survive In my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Wondering how it is going, I work with acrylics, which is closely related to vinyl, and I know they add various plasticizers to it to increase flexibility, and those chemicals can and do leach out of the vinyl. That's one of the reasons why the a liner is more flexible when new than it is after a few year of water and sun exposure. It maybe that the manufacturer of the liner thinks that because a chemical is listed as "food safe" for humans, that is is safe for fish that eat, drink and breath it 24/7, this may or may not be the case.

What I would try is to
  1. drain your pond,
  2. wash the liner with vinegar,
  3. then drain the vinegar and rinse with water,
  4. wash with strong Bicarbonate of Soda solution
  5. drain the Bicarb, and rinse with water
  6. fill the pond (dechlorinater added) and start the filters
  7. add 1/4 cup of household ammonia and keep adding a splash until the test is over 1ppm
  8. retest each day and when the test says your down to 0 ppm Ammonia, re-add as above
  9. when your back down to zero, put a couple pounds of rinsed aquarium activated charcoal into a suitable filter bag like knotted pantyhose and drop that into your filter.
  10. After all that runs for a couple days , float some feeders.
Hopefully the vinegar will dissolve the plasticizers that like acids, any that like bases might be dissolved by the bicarb and the charcoal will absorb anything that was missed.

If the feeders do Okay, try the Walmart Koi; if all goes well then comes the tough decision, what do you do with the test fish? My 2 dozen feeders have turned into hundreds.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am not convinced that the liner is the cause here. I would prefer to wait until some numeric water test results are posted.
LIindsaykay, did you notice any unusual or unnatural behavior or your fish prior to their death other than not eating?

Lindsaykay

Determined
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b troutdale
Country
United States
Wondering how it is going, I work with acrylics, which is closely related to vinyl, and I know they add various plasticizers to it to increase flexibility, and those chemicals can and do leach out of the vinyl. That's one of the reasons why the a liner is more flexible when new than it is after a few year of water and sun exposure. It maybe that the manufacturer of the liner thinks that because a chemical is listed as "food safe" for humans, that is is safe for fish that eat, drink and breath it 24/7, this may or may not be the case.

What I would try is to
  1. drain your pond,
  2. wash the liner with vinegar,
  3. then drain the vinegar and rinse with water,
  4. wash with strong Bicarbonate of Soda solution
  5. drain the Bicarb, and rinse with water
  6. fill the pond (dechlorinater added) and start the filters
  7. add 1/4 cup of household ammonia and keep adding a splash until the test is over 1ppm
  8. retest each day and when the test says your down to 0 ppm Ammonia, re-add as above
  9. when your back down to zero, put a couple pounds of rinsed aquarium activated charcoal into a suitable filter bag like knotted pantyhose and drop that into your filter.
  10. After all that runs for a couple days , float some feeders.
Hopefully the vinegar will dissolve the plasticizers that like acids, any that like bases might be dissolved by the bicarb and the charcoal will absorb anything that was missed.

If the feeders do Okay, try the Walmart Koi; if all goes well then comes the tough decision, what do you do with the test fish? My 2 dozen feeders have turned into hundreds.

Thats some seriously awesome advice my friend. Thank you!

Lindsaykay

Determined
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b troutdale
Country
United States
I am not convinced that the liner is the cause here. I would prefer to wait until some numeric water test results are posted.
LIindsaykay, did you notice any unusual or unnatural behavior or your fish prior to their death other than not eating?

No not at all. They all seemed rather happy it was a normal two or so days. Then it would come on sudden... larthargic,side swimming while grazing the top of the water. Then no motion just floating to their sides occational burst of life before death. One after the other close to the same times. Its very bizarre.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
No not at all. They all seemed rather happy it was a normal two or so days. Then it would come on sudden... larthargic,side swimming while grazing the top of the water. Then no motion just floating to their sides occational burst of life before death. One after the other close to the same times. Its very bizarre.
That sounds like it could be swim bladder disease http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Swim-Bladder-Disease-in-Goldfish

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That sounds like it could be swim bladder disease http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Swim-Bladder-Disease-in-Goldfish
I don't think that SBD effects whole groups of fish like this -- since it's not really a "disease" but a disorder mostly related to body type. No, this sounds more like a water quality issue.
Meyer, I'm with you, (though I won't totally rule out the liner). But it sounds like we're not going to find out. The OP has stated that she's going to give it a rest for now and start over next year, likely with a new liner. IMHO, waiting and starting over are probably wise choices due to the high frustration level.

@Lindsaykay, we do hope that you stick around our forum over the off-season. Read and learn as much as you can, and PLEASE stay with us as you start over in the spring! I can't wait to see your pond flourish! Oh, and a belated Happy Birthday!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Lindsaykay, if you are still with us. Did you observe any discoloration of the skin of the Goldfish (pale patches, red patches)?

Ask a Question