Interested in finding a great algicide that works

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interested in finding a great algicide that works, preferable natural product. Just pressure cleaned water feature approx 5,000g; two ponds connected by 40' stream, fed by 8' h waterfall. Please let me know what works. Thanks, Hank

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

Do you have fish in these ponds? What kind of algae are you dealing with? Pictures are always helpful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!

Do you have fish in these ponds? What kind of algae are you dealing with? Pictures are always helpful!
Hi Liza, thanks for responding. Yes, Koi in lower pond, lg gold fish in upper pond. Algae issue is mainly String algae (Filamentous Algae). Also want clean water if possible. All suggestions welcome.
Thxs, hank

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Let's start with understanding what algae means in your pond. Algae grows when you have excess nutrients in the water - fish waste and left over food are the two main sources, but excess organic material in the pond can add to the nutrient load as well. So rather than thinking of the algae as the problem, think of it as a symptom of a problem. It's like when you have a fever - the fever is uncomfortable, but it's not the main problem. Your body uses a fever to signal that there's a problem And like a fever, algae is often both symptom AND solution - the algae is telling you that you have excess nutrients in your pond while it's also helping to remove it.

The first response is usually to want to rid your pond of algae by killing it. The problem with that approach is dead algae adds - you guessed it - more nutrients to your pond. Kill the algae and all you're doing is feeding more algae. It's a vicious cycle. So rather than trying to kill it, you should aim to control the algae growth by controlling the nutrient levels in your pond.

Three ways to control the nutrient level: fewer fish, less food, more plants. Simple, right? Actually it is that simple - but it does take patience as it will not reduce the algae in your pond overnight. So while you are waiting, the single best "algaecide" for string algae it manual removal. Just get yourself a tool of some sort - a stick, a toilet brush, or even your hands - and start pulling it out. Toss it in your garden or compost pile - it's got good stuff in it!

There truly are no safe or natural algaecides. They are all designed to kill and, even when used correctly, can cause harm to the living organisms in your pond. Unfortunately many people misuse these products which is even more disastrous.

I hope this is helpful. I know it's not the quick fix you were hoping for, but you did express interest in a safe and natural approach. I will also mention that I noticed that you said you power washed your pond. By doing so, you removed one of the most beneficial aspects of your pond - the biofilm that develops on the underwater surfaces is one giant filtration mechanism. Power washing is not recommended if you hope to keep your pond ecosystem alive and functioning. Just thought I would add that as food for thought -

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's start with understanding what algae means in your pond. Algae grows when you have excess nutrients in the water - fish waste and left over food are the two main sources, but excess organic material in the pond can add to the nutrient load as well. So rather than thinking of the algae as the problem, think of it as a symptom of a problem. It's like when you have a fever - the fever is uncomfortable, but it's not the main problem. Your body uses a fever to signal that there's a problem And like a fever, algae is often both symptom AND solution - the algae is telling you that you have excess nutrients in your pond while it's also helping to remove it.

The first response is usually to want to rid your pond of algae by killing it. The problem with that approach is dead algae adds - you guessed it - more nutrients to your pond. Kill the algae and all you're doing is feeding more algae. It's a vicious cycle. So rather than trying to kill it, you should aim to control the algae growth by controlling the nutrient levels in your pond.

Three ways to control the nutrient level: fewer fish, less food, more plants. Simple, right? Actually it is that simple - but it does take patience as it will not reduce the algae in your pond overnight. So while you are waiting, the single best "algaecide" for string algae it manual removal. Just get yourself a tool of some sort - a stick, a toilet brush, or even your hands - and start pulling it out. Toss it in your garden or compost pile - it's got good stuff in it!

There truly are no safe or natural algaecides. They are all designed to kill and, even when used correctly, can cause harm to the living organisms in your pond. Unfortunately many people misuse these products which is even more disastrous.

I hope this is helpful. I know it's not the quick fix you were hoping for, but you did express interest in a safe and natural approach. I will also mention that I noticed that you said you power washed your pond. By doing so, you removed one of the most beneficial aspects of your pond - the biofilm that develops on the underwater surfaces is one giant filtration mechanism. Power washing is not recommended if you hope to keep your pond ecosystem alive and functioning. Just thought I would add that as food for thought -
Th

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, needed one power wash, now time to stabilize. I check water quality, been dealing with leaks till now. Keep you posted.thxs, hank

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - sometimes cleaning and starting fresh is called for. But there are people who do the annual spring cleaning and power wash away all the good stuff that nature has put in place!

Good luck!

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I don't want to sound like a smart---
And I don't know your level of pond know how. But, shade.
I've always controlled algea issues with shade.
A bridge, some plants, a decorative wall...
It's easier to control algea by never letting it take over in the first place.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
liquid barley is really the only one i have sen that works and is safe .shade is better like said and not over feeding fish as you then may be feeding the algae .But some algae keeps your fish safe from ammonia levels being high

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Excellent advice from Lisak to you. Unfortunately by pressure washing you may have problems for at least another 6 weeks until the pond stabilizes. I would just cut down drastically on the food and remove algae by hand and deal with it until it improves on its own.

Ask a Question