Koi Gold Fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its middle of May and my Fish are still inactive. Should they not be visible in the Pond by this time?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Depends mine are still hiding off and on, we have been hot to cold cold to hot. If the water is cold they tend to hide. Our pond climbed to 60 then dropped back into 50's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Heron visiting garden and pond. Im trying to keep it away. Is it possible fish are in hiding?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a Heron visiting garden and pond. Im trying to keep it away. Is it possible fish are in hiding?
Yes they hide for days after a heron attack or visit. They used to come by my pond every day for years as I battled them. Finally did the wide weave net hung high over the water. They still fly by but keep going.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Often if the fish is very large, it may flop free of the heron, but you may find it days later with two large puncture wounds on it's back, and that will often kill them because then they will hide. I have had large koi recover and have scarred backs from the puncture wounds.

Ask a Question