Local fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hello , I'm planning to put local fish in my pond with stream . I'm in northeast , CT. Wondering if someone has experience with local fish in pond . Like carp or catfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would ask the wildlife department what they consider to be local fish Dmitry there is probably a very strict criteria as to what a person can and cant do.
Carp are not a natural sprecies to the US {you have the same problem as with koi there I'm affraid), they may not even want fish in that stream bevause of a protected species of aquatic insect , its a very grey area I'm affraid.
Like here in the UK we had the American crayfish get loose in our rivers and streams they are now killing the local crayfish off .
We are getting trouble with terrapins (red sliders) a throwback to the Ninja Turtle craze, even snapping turtles have been found in our ponds all competing against or eating native aquatic creatures and fish.
It may be better if you forget the stream and instead build a pond but away from the stream on a higher elevation so that your fish cant get into the stream should it flood , you really have to do your home work on this issue

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have native fish in my 1800 gallon pond, pumpkinseeds (a sunfish) and blacknose dace (a minnow). I caught the pumpkinseeds on hook and line and the dace with a seine, both from a creek near me. The pumpkinseeds have done very well and seemed to easily adapt to the pond, and have even spawned. I caught them two years ago, and while I have only seen 4 of the six so far this spring after our very hard winter, it is still early yet. I caught them as adults two years ago and their life span is about eight years, so I wouldn't be suprised to lose one every once in a while. The dace did not fare as well, as I think they are more adapted to moving water. I put fifteen or twenty in two years ago and as of last fall only had two or three left. I may try to replace them this year with one of the shiner species.

The only caution I would have is that my natives are finicky eaters. The pumpkinseeds will not eat flake or pellet food, so I have to feed them chopped up raw shrimp (which they love!), bits of raw ground beef (although there are two of them that will not eat the beef), and live meal worms that I get at the pet store. I only feed them three or four times a week and meal time is very entertaining as they line up and wait for me to throw a piece of food in. They are very competetive at feeding time but otherwise seem to get along well in the pond.

I suppose keeping a wild carp would be like keeping koi, but I do know that some catfish can be quite agressive. You may want to stay with one of the smaller species like a bullhead. Good luck with your pond!

Phil

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If I'm not mistaken, you'd need a license to keep native game fish in a private setting. Look into it.

Also, as a angler, I do know that in Ontario it is illegal to transport live fish from one body of water to another.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Also, as a angler, I do know that in Ontario it is illegal to transport live fish from one body of water to another.[/QUOTE]
...but only if someone rats on you!:whistle:
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Same here.
We have a 1 acre 10 foot deep natural pond on our place and I know about not being able to transport live fish (local trout) so I checked into adding farmed fish, but there's a risk that they could get into the natural waterways, so that's a no go.
The best I can hope for is if some of them swim upstream. (Most probably not going to happen)
So I have to be satisfied with a bug pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I know it CT it is illegal to transport live fish from one body of water to another including bait fish. Personally I would just love the natural pond and stream on my property with fish or no fish. Put out some bird feeders grab a chair and enjoy the view.

Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer or a fish and game commission officer, but I doubt a man made backyard pond qualifies as a "body of water". So long as you're licensed and your catch doesn't violate size or possession limits I don't see what the problem would be. If you like natives you should check out the NANFA web site, they're all about keeping natives in aquariums and they catch, transport, and keep wild natives all the time.

Reaction score
just from a wording perspective - i wonder if the "moving from one body of water to another" is meant to refer to the release of fish INTO the wild? this is something that is common in most if not all states?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
just from a wording perspective - i wonder if the "moving from one body of water to another" is meant to refer to the release of fish INTO the wild? this is something that is common in most if not all states?

Nope, up here transporting game fish in your livewell is considered "transport". The purpose being that livewells exchange water when operational. Any contaminants transported from one body to another will be released with the activation of the livewell.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Are you able to buy trout fry?

Maybe check with some of these guys.....

http://affa.ab.ca/alberta_fish_suppliers.htm

I checked.
I need a permit to purchase, and my pond didn't pass because it has a stream running through it.
I even need a permit if I want to buy certain fish to put in my aquaponics system in my greenhouse.
The sellers won't sell to you if you don't have a permit

Ask a Question