Lookin for goldfish population control

Reaction score
Country
United States
THIS POST IS FROM 3 YEARS AGO
Yeah, and I doubt that goldfish could remain overpopulated for that long. They have too many natural predators, including the ones mentioned, which probably showed up at the pond 3 years before I even posted this.

As for the koi, they were probably either digested and defecated by a predator 2 or 3 years ago, or are the size of small porpoises as I'm posting this! 😂

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even though the post was old, I was happy to see it pop back up in new activity because overpopulation is an issue I have some concerns about as well.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Even though the post was old, I was happy to see it pop back up in new activity because overpopulation is an issue I have some concerns about as well.

I've found that the Gambusias in my pond control the goldfish population rather thoroughly. In two years, only one sarassa goldfish made it out of the "too small to see" stage. He's now swimming with the big guys, but could still fall prey to a kingfisher.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought my minnows that had absolutely exploded in population had not survived the winter. But as I was vacuuming the pond over the weekend. It seems I have all kinds of little ones showing. I introduced 8 rainbow fish. They are from the glow fish creator. And I happened to see 8 something all winter. But after vacuuming I now see a solid 25 somethings or other. God I hope they are not the minnows or a sunfish or blue gill will be joining the koi. I'd prefer a bass but he could eat my 6 inch koi. No beano

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Minnows are unbelievably resilient aren’t they!? I already have new baby minnows this year - I think because we had some unusually warm weather in late winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah I was hoping for fishcycles

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm pulling out all I can catch now remove 1 female will prevent me from having a 100 of her off spring each time she gets pregnant which looks like every month. I got to get a blue gill

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've found that the Gambusias in my pond control the goldfish population rather thoroughly. In two years, only one sarassa goldfish made it out of the "too small to see" stage. He's now swimming with the big guys, but could still fall prey to a kingfisher.
Mosquitofish are much more predacious than the more omnivorous goldfish and minnows. They are somewhat territorial as well, and may even attack fish that are too big to eat. One female killed a juvenile fathead minnow in our 2-gallon drink dispenser. But in a spacious pond, this would probably only happen if the mosquitofish were themselves overpopulated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm pulling out all I can catch now remove 1 female will prevent me from having a 100 of her off spring each time she gets pregnant which looks like every month. I got to get a blue gill
Be warned that sunfish may be aggressive, though. They sometimes harass large fishes like goldfish, though they are generally more intolerant of their own species.
Green sunfish would be the worst choice. Bluegills are a bit better.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Be warned that sunfish may be aggressive, though. They sometimes harass large fishes like goldfish, though they are generally more intolerant of their own species.
Green sunfish would be the worst choice. Bluegills are a bit better.
Will sunfish or bluegills then reproduce like crazy as well?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sun fish are very fiesty if another fish gets near their nest the wil dart up and poke at the fish that has got too close

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Mosquitofish are much more predacious than the more omnivorous goldfish and minnows. They are somewhat territorial as well, and may even attack fish that are too big to eat. One female killed a juvenile fathead minnow in our 2-gallon drink dispenser. But in a spacious pond, this would probably only happen if the mosquitofish were themselves overpopulated.

Yep, they're fierce little things. And they're live-birthers, so they're prolific. If I could have found rosie barb minnows when I first filled the pond, I would have preferred those. But sadly, no one seemed to be selling them at the time, and mosquitoes were a concern. I did later add nine rosie barbs, but I doubt they can breed due to the gambusias. But it's a big pond, so maybe...

Ask a Question