Lookin for goldfish population control

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i need a big top predator would a couple koi in my pond be good for this? any drawbacks to koi like will they eat all my water lilies frog bit ect.? i thought about catching a bass or shell cracker and using them but koi look way sexier. my pond is 50 foot by 50 foot by 3 feet deep.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Call @bagsmom and get them to send over their 'population controller' to help out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a water snake you could borrow..... :LOL:
Nessie's growing 01.jpg

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Koi will not eat goldfish and they will breed with the goldfish! And they will tear up your plants. Not sure if a couple of bass will take care of that, bluegill will take care of eggs at spawning. Are you feeding your fish?
i feed them some but not much. i read you do not have to feed goldfish and only put in some when i am at the pond. thanks for the reply

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
this being a new pond i was wondering when all the predator's will show up. there is a bunch of green frogs getting fat. it looks like they have made a small dent in all the fry in my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I put a few Orfes in my pond. Problem solved. Also, I used to have a population of Rosy Red Minnows. That's all but gone too. I don't think they eat the adults, but the fry are all sucked up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hmmmmmm i would add a blue gill or a sun fish and use only the males . they will gladley suck up the eggs and fry and if they get to agressive or big you can drop a worm on a hook and pull them out. i'm close to doing this to catch my cat fish in 4 years they grew from 3" to 20"

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When I have a resident frog, I do not have any baby goldfish.

Ask a Question