Looking for a decent source of water garden plants--online and semi-local--in New England area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Looking for a decent source of water garden plants--online and semi-local--in New England area. I'm in northern VT. I've tried several online sources in the past years, and most didnt do very well in growth. Quite frustrating. And pricey. Seeking recommendations for sources that seem to work well.

Also sources for bullfrog tadpoles and snails.

Thanks much for your time and guidance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm in MA, my pond is new last Fall so cannot say for sure how things will go. I have an order coming in from Play it Koi this week, they have many water plants and trapdoor snails. Webbs also has water plants, not quite as big a selection. I have ordered a lot of plants from Bluestone Perrenials, but they do not do a lot of water plants, but you can get some for a bog. If you are ever in MA highly recommend a trip to Tranquil Lake nursery in Rehoboth, huge selection of daylillys and irises, he also has some ponds and sells some unique plants. I got a Rodgersia from him last Fall that is doing well now along with a couple of cranberry plants. They do sell online their daylillies and irises, surprisingly I put a couple of daylillies in the bog and they came back nicely. Anyway, good luck with the search.

Reaction score
i also just got some stuff from play it koi. I think online is always going to be pricey since this is such a niche hobby but they seemed pretty reasonable.

also, i got more than I ordered of just about evertyhing, in the form of 1 or 2 extra whatevers in every package (1 extra rush, 1 extra iris, 2 extra saggitaria).

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's Dietter's Water Gardens in Connecticut.
They have pond plants, trapdoor snails, and bullfrog tadpoles.
They also have an assortment of goldfish and koi (and even channel catfish).

It is illegal to possess or import bullfrog tadpoles in Vermont without a permit though, so you may need a permit to add bullfrog tadpoles to your pond (even though they are native throughout New England).

If your pond is warm, vegetated, and still/sluggish, bullfrogs should spawn in your pond and produce tadpoles on their own.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States

It is illegal to possess or import bullfrog tadpoles in Vermont without a permit though, so you may need a permit to add bullfrog tadpoles to your pond (even though they are native throughout New England).

If your pond is warm, vegetated, and still/sluggish, bullfrogs should spawn in your pond and produce tadpoles on their own.

Thanks much for the info. Good excuse for a road trip to CT to see something different, and tastes.

Very few places carry quality water garden plants here in northern VT anymore, so looking for new sources.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

@Wayfarin Are you in ct?

I was out on the Harley last night and actualy stopped at dieters spoke to rob for a minute as he was actualy closed. They re only 15 minutes from me.

And yes dieters has a pretty good selection of aquatic plants. Black taro blue rush , clover.forgetmenots.some irises.achanaris.garlic. hyacinth. Aquatic Lettuce. Ornamental plant " floater" Lillie's up the wazu. Arrow. Pickeril weed. Just to name a few though I've never been there. " rolling my eyes"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got my first trapdoor snails yesterday from Webbs. Put them in the pond last night. Surprised how much they have moved around already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I should say I also like Action Water Gardens in CT. Just got water hyacinths, red water dock, black magic taro, and red rotala there. But Sterling is definitely closer to VT.

Have not been to Dietters, Action Water Gardens is a lot closer to me (in central MA).

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Wayfarin Are you in ct?

I was out on the Harley last night and actualy stopped at dieters spoke to rob for a minute as he was actualy closed. They re only 15 minutes from me.

And yes dieters has a pretty good selection of aquatic plants. Black taro blue rush , clover.forgetmenots.some irises.achanaris.garlic. hyacinth. Aquatic Lettuce. Ornamental plant " floater" Lillie's up the wazu. Arrow. Pickeril weed. Just to name a few though I've never been there. " rolling my eyes"
We moved to northern New Hampshire a few years ago, but we used to live in Connecticut.

I've never actually been there either. I wasn't interested in water gardens until we moved (or we didn't think we'd ever make one).

Last edited:

Ask a Question