Looking for screen mesh to build large breeder net.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have concluded that I should build a large breeder net. Maybe 4x3x3ft.

The only thing I'm stuck at is what type of material i should use and where to buy at a decent price. I want the mesh as fine as the mini version of this found in all pet stores so that food won't escape.

Thanks...

Attachments

• breeder-trap.jpg
    breeder-trap.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 683

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would go with the plastic window screening, like malak suggests, it lasts very well and has fine holes. And you can buy it in multiple sizes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could make the frame out of pvc pipe and elbows and T's use fishing string to sew screening to the frame .At least it would be sturdy and last long

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sissy said:
you could make the frame out of pvc pipe and elbows and T's use fishing string to sew screening to the frame .At least it would be sturdy and last long

Pvc works well, but holds a lot of air, so if this needs to sink make sure you have a way to let the air out of the pvc, or fill it with sand, which would make it heavy. Use the smallest pvc.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
small holes drilled in the frame up to, but not in the top pipe will eleviate the air in the pipes problem. and you need not sew the screen on to the framing...got a hot glue gun?...use it!! or a thin line of epoxy on the outside of framing pipes will hold it as strong as you'd ever need. even super glue would probably work.

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for all the tips...

I'm going to start and look for window screening first... Hmm.. fabric store... good idea... Maybe I can get some discontinued for free... I have friend that works in fabric distribution warehouse.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Window screen or screen door material can be found at Lowes or Home depot. You can buy it by the roll for pretty cheap depending on how much you need. It comes in grey or black but make sure to not get the metal kind. I don't know if you could get something similar at the fabric store or not. If you can then you could just buy a much smaller piece. I use the stuff from Lowes or Home Depot for floating plant rings in my pond also.

IMG_1257.jpg

Reaction score
Nice... that type of screen mesh looks perfect... Okay.. non metal is what I'm hoping to find... I'll check out the big box stores soon.

thanks for the pic j.w.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
James I just hope the screen is small enough for keeping those tiny little fry in. You will just have to check and see. If not then fabric store may have something better :bowdown:

Reaction score
j.w said:
James I just hope the screen is small enough for keeping those tiny little fry in. You will just have to check and see. If not then fabric store may have something better :bowdown:

I think the screen is perfect but I'll make sure. Well, it should be... By the time I move fry into main pond, they'll be 1". But i"m not sure yet... my 130G perhaps have 2000+ fry. Bio load might be too high even with my 30G scrubby trash can. Maybe I might have to move them when they're 0.5". not sure... Being a complete koi fry noob, I'm winging it out right now.

I might have to build 2 breeding nets instead of one in that case so that I can cull in the pond.

Good news is, I solved the water quality problems. That saved me so much time.

Reaction score
Meaning the screen is fiberglass? I've seen it made of plastic before.
The fabric would work especially if in your basement and not in the sun which would rot it from UV etc.

Reaction score
The package said fibre glass screen. It's black and inside is fibre glass. I saw broken off section. Inside looks like fibre glass, but the black coating, dunno what it's made out of.

I'm looking for the cheapest method possible that works and is fish safe. I saw plastic ones too but it's 2x more and not big enough for my application anyway.

Yes, indoor only.

Ask a Question