Making Pond Deeper

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
So, I've been thinking lately that I should have dug my pond deeper. What I would like to do is make a section of it deeper without completely pulling the rock walls down and restarting with a new liner. Ideally, I would cut a section of the liner, dig deeper and then seem seal a new peice of liner in. This is easier said than done because I'm going to end up with folds that won't seal easily. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm thinking nightmare from what I have heard some others say on seaming a big liner together but then I have never done it myself and don't wish to try. Maybe you could make another pond next to the one you have and make that deeper and join the two together w/ a stream or falls possibly avoiding the seamed liner? Think some might be able to help you here on that idea.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I added a piece of liner to an edge of my pond, close to water level. Minimal water pressure on the liner, it was a nightmare. Even with it clean, zero folds, able to tape it double, single, had to add goop to finally get it to stop leaking

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was told by pond digger that if you have folds the seam seal may not hold

Reaction score
When I expanded my pond from 7200 to 19000 I had to seam mine. First I dug the expansion hole seamed the new liner to the old liner then I removed the dirt from under the liner where the pond use to stop. Started removing the dirt in the center and worked my way out in each direction. I did not drain the old pond first as I removed the dirt the pond started draining into the expansion that is a lot deeper than the original pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've had a complete failure seaming where a fold was critical, Not fun at all! Nightmare to find the leak, Almost impossible to repair at that point, Personally, I would go ahead and break down and get the bigger liner and then use the smaller liner for a shallow pond for just plants or maybe for small fish that could be brought inside for the winter. maybe even use the liner for a bog filter for added.filtration.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The problem with my old liner was in a fold and I was told that fixing it would or would not work and the for how long was a mystery also .So I broke down and bought a new liner and considering I did not have to pay for shipping that was great .Thing is when I measured new liner before I put it in it was 8 inches bigger on 1 side and almost 10 inches bigger on the other side .You can see how much hang over I have in pic .I was not expecting this much more liner so going to build pond up on all sides

Attachments

• new pond 027.JPG
    new pond 027.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 385
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Thanks, all. I think you've confirmed my suspicions that seaming will be difficult and problematic at best. I think I'll see how things play out this summer when it gets hot. I'll either leave it or start a rebuild next year.

Reaction score
Don't give up yet! Read my post on my expansion, I did mine by myself 2 years ago with no leaks. I went to a roofing company and bought a gallon of glue that they use on their seams no cleaner just used water to wash the sand off the liner. Then I applied glue to both the old and new liner let it set till it got tacky and overlapped them about 12".

Reaction score
Country
United States
The problem with my old liner was in a fold and I was told that fixing it would or would not work and the for how long was a mystery also .So I broke down and bought a new liner and considering I did not have to pay for shipping that was great .Thing is when I measured new liner before I put it in it was 8 inches bigger on 1 side and almost 10 inches bigger on the other side .You can see how much hang over I have in pic .I was not expecting this much more liner so going to build pond up on all sides

Sissy, If you don't mind could you explain and/or show photos of how you are building your pond up?

I have to re-do mine in the spring/summer and I need some ideas.

Ask a Question