Meet the Woodchucks

Reaction score
Sounds like a good title for a movie. (chuckle)

I haven't been around for quite a while. I got busy with lots of things, the most recent was moving. Yes, I had to move off the farmstead that I was renting and move back to the house that I own and was renting out. Rather a long story, but basically I was renting from someone else while I was renting my home out to another party. This was all a matter of convenience for all parties involved. That is, until the owner of the property I was renting from passed away and the ownership changed hands. Now, for the fun part of the story.

Now that I am almost finished moving out, but not even close to moving back in to my own home, I have been staying at my sister's cabin on my weekends. Her cabin is near mine and I do a lot of mowing out there. I stopped at a couple of friends cabins and mowed for them (not for pay - I just do it as a favor since I am driving by on my BadBoy riding lawnmower anyway).

While I was moving from lot to lot, I noticed a little greyish-brown critter scampering through the grass along the road. I knew immediately that it was a woodchuck (groundhog). It was quite small or young, but since it was alone and motoring rather well and quickly, I knew it must already be weaned. Of course, they stay at home with the parents well after weaning - as they are social animals.

However, people irradicate woodchucks out there in the area. They are destructive when they invade your cabin/building etc. They like to tunnel under the foundation and dig holes all over.

I couldn't very well leave it there. So... I picked it up and took it home.

Now, I am not condoning making a wild animal a pet, but I have had experience with woodchucks out there before. They have allowed me to pet them in the wild and I had to rescue one from the pit for my water well once.

I found this little guy / gal on Thursday evening. I made an effort not to handle it too much (didn't want it to become attached to me, let alone possibly sick from over handling). Some animals don't take well to being handled too much.

However, by Friday morning, it had already adopted me as a foster parent! I brought it into town so that I could feed and shelter it until I decided where to release it.

I tried to give him something to eat, so I tried lettuce and celery greens, bread and sliced apples. He went NUTS over the apples, he took them right out of my hand!

I felt that it should get outside and run and eat grass and dandelion greens and get some sun. So I let it run in the yard. Or should I say, I let it follow me around in the yard. I couldn't walk 5 steps or 20 steps and it was running after me. When I stopped, it would climb up on my shoe and sit or try to climb up my pant leg. I would set it off in the grass and then walk further away and it would come right after me again. Rather than playing the game of setting it aside and running away from it, I just stood there and let him sit on my shoe. He eventually became more brave and started "sniffing" the grass and looking about. Then he even started to walk further away from me and investigate things on his own.

He started eating dandielion greens and frolicking around. When he got too far away, I tried to mimick the chirping sound that I had heard them make out at our cabin when they were in the wild. He turned and looked at me and ran right back to my feet and sat on my shoe.

I didn't really want to adopt him/her, but the darned little thing just latched onto me! They say they can be litterbox trained, will do tricks, make great pets if you understand their needs and can put up with certain traits. But, I am not sure I want it as a house pet. That's not really fair.

I think I am going to build a BIG kennel (to prevent him from going into danger zones) and then let him run wild if I find he will stick around once he has made the kennel area his own home. I could then make a door on it so that he can get in and out through, but predators like coyotes can't get in. Maybe he'll be happy on his own, but still hang out with me and follow me around. If I can keep him over on my property, then he won't get shot or eaten by a dog or caught in a trap. He can dig to his heart's content and no one will care, if he stays on my land.

Catfishnut

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh how cute your a daddy happy new fathers day to you .I learned from my son who lives in Saxe VA that woodchucks can dam up a creek in a couple of hours and cause so much flooding it is unbelievable .They have so many of those guys and gals at the creek that you can hear them working .The bad is they cause a lot of flooding up stream .The good is they are fun to watch build there dams.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's a nice story and I think you are doing the right thing by giving him a place of refuge but allowing him the freedom to come and go as he likes. addy has one on her property.............it's not a pet but it lives around her house or under something and she sees it often and it never causes any problems. I hope you will keep us updated on the little fellow and pictures or video's would be cool!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Charlie the groundhog! I see him all of the time, out in the back field, climbing our hill sampling plants as he goes. So far not too destructive, i.e. not eating enough of my plants to piss me off. He lives under our garage, in and out from the same area, we think just has a den there, not a ton of tunnels. We can block off the deck if we want to get him from his home, but so far we are living in harmony.

No others just him, no babies.

Reaction score
You'll probably think that I am nuts, but I named my new baby "Norton" after Ed Norton on the HoneyMooners. That name came into my head immediately when I picked it up the first day. There are lots of names people would give to a woodchuck... i.e. Woodie, Chuck, Phil (for the notorious and famous or infamous weather predictor) etc. But, I didn't even think about it. As he was taking the ride on my lawn mower I looked at him and said "Hi Norton".

Well, if it turns out to be a female, the official name will change from Ed Norton to Trixie Norton. So, I am safe with Norton.

I took Norton for a walk Saturday morning at my Mother's home. She had some watermelon all cut up so I gave him a few pieces. He just LOVED that! I think it is really good for him, too. Lots of water content along with the nourishment. He hasn't quite learned the benefits of and how to manage his front paws yet. He tries to hold the food, but he drops it a lot.

I took him for quite a long walk. I think I tuckered him out. He was having some trouble keeping up with me through the grass. It is mowed short, but it is in comparison to his size like us hacking through a jungle. He started making some sounds of frustration and possibly worry because I was getting too far away. I walked back to him and he just sat on my shoe again and panted for a while, then he kept trying to climb up my jeans. I finally picked him up and held him against my chest, kinda like cradling a baby and he snuggled around and maneuvered himself up to my neck and crawled under my chin and closed his eyes and just stayed there. I think he fell asleep on me!

After a while, I had to eat lunch, so I put him in the box that is his makeshift home (bed). He wasn't really happy with that so after lunch I got him back out and sat down on an easy chair and just let him do what he felt like. He climbed up on me and found a place right over my heart and snuggled up and fell asleep for about an hour and a half. I think he could hear my heart beat and it felt warm. So it was probably like being back in the den with Mom and Dad. Oh, I did read that the Dad woodchuck actually does take part in the rearing of the young to some extent, but he gets around and may have more than one wife, they are not monogamous if they can get away with it. Can you say HAREM? :)

Here are some facts I have found out about Woodchucks in just a few short days:

They can swim, quite well mind you, and they can climb trees, too.
They are diurnal.
They are true hibernators (October - November through March - April).
Punxatauny Phil looks grumpy because they wake him up too early. Ha Ha!
They can be litter box trained.
They will do tricks like a dog for treats.
The unweaned young must have their genitals stroked or licked to prompt them to deficate or micturate (poop or pee).
(good thing Norton is older!)
Their teeth grow like beaver's teeth so they have to constantly chew on bark or something to grind them down.
They make underground burrows up to 45 feet in total tunnel length and to a depth of up to five feet.
If you feed them table scraps like a dog, they will get fat, just like a dog... Up to 45 pounds.
They will defend themselves and can do well against even a large predator including a large dog such as a lab.
They are vocal animals and make all sorts of noises depending upon the situation and their mood.
They may bite, but it is usually in play and they rarely if ever break the skin, although it might smart a bit.
(that's OK by me as even dogs do that and they often do worse)
They don't like loud noises or loud music or banging. Probably not AC/DC fans. Ha Ha
They are normally solitary critters except during mating and rearing of the young.
They are highly inquisitive to the point that they can get themselves in a bad predicament (witnessed that myself).

There's lots more information on them and their lifestyle/cycle, but I think I have covered the highlights.

Right now, with all the uneasy things going on in my life, I really appreciate this little friend. He relies upon me for sustenance and shelter and you would think that I don't need an extra duty or chore, but I find that it is actually a blessing.
Norton is keeping me sane and happy and I have some purpose other than just getting by and slogging through it all.
Norton is more of my pal than my pet. He's not a goldfish in a bowl, he's a little soul inside a marmot's body.

I hope when Norton get's older that he will stick around and visit me and go fishing and camping with me. If he doesn't, he'll still always be in my heart. You just cannot help but to love him. Anyone with a dog that they got when they were a pup understands this feeling. I think that there is more to it than just that, however. Because man spent centuries domesticating dogs. This little fella seemed to take to our relationship right off. I am VERY surprised that people haven't become closer to the woodchucks throughout the ages. They'd be my first choice.

Catfish

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ahhhhhhhhh, you are making me tear up w/ such a nice story again. I love how you love him and he/she "Norton",lol, loves you :luxlove:
And we all get to learn so much about the little fellow w/ all your research and caring for Norton. Will be fun and interesting hearing about how it goes w/ living w/ him. Wonder if he will chew your furniture legs up? Maybe he will learn to chew his own stuff that you provide for him. When do we get to see photo's?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat, learning more about charlie our resident woodchuck. He/she lives alone under our deck/garage. Leaves most of my plants alone, does nibble on a few as it climbs the hill to head for home.

Reaction score
Woodchuck update:

Well, Norton has moved on to the wild and I have since caught his aunt and two cousins. The aunt, the big one, was too big to keep so I released her. I have kept the cousins, Red and Buddy for a few weeks now. They are happy for the free food, but rather PO'd to be kept in a cage. Buddy is friendly, but Red has a really bad attitude. I will be releasing them both together in the near future.

Thought I would share some pix of Red and Buddy (pix of Norton were really poor quality).

They really love leaf spinach, walnuts (out of the shell), apple slices and watermelon.

Catfishnut

Attachments

• 0614105331.jpg
    0614105331.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 0614105343.jpg
    0614105343.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 0614105403.jpg
    0614105403.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 0614105429.jpg
    0614105429.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 0614105452.jpg
    0614105452.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 272

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Great photo's of them Catfish and glad they get to go back to the wild soon. They may not want to leave w/ the nice buffet they are getting from you tho!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat, ours are moving on soon, seeing them less and less on the deck.

Ask a Question