Miracle baby koi

Reaction score
I just had to share this with someone! I have had a small pond for about four years, which was home to two koi s winter time I would bring them in and summer they enjoyed the pond. We'll this summer both fish were attacked by some animals in the evening. One morning I woke up and the plants were all turned over and there were some remains of the poor fish. I was really upset. This happened in early august. We'll today I went out to start preparing the pond for winter and to my surprise there was a baby fish swimming around, oh my goodness. I was so excited. A miracle fishy!,,,, so I brought him in and now am wondering if I can put him in the aquarium with my ranchu goldfish or if he should stay alone also is there anything I have to do special for him? All your help would be appreciated. And how did this happen? Where can I find good info on the life cycle of kois

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It sounds like your koi spawned prior to their untimely death:( I'm sorry for the loss of your koi, I'd be very upset too. Good luck with the new little one. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in, but I think he'll be fine with your goldfish, but believe koi eat fry....both their own and goldfish. Kim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Photo's please Stephis lets have a look at the little guy , what are you going to call him "Lucky" or something along those lines

rgrds

Dave

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
First of all, welcome to the forum or should I say Bienvenue!
You can put him in the aquarium with the other fish as long as he's not big enough to be eaten. Fish will eat other fish.
As far as your question below, let me tell you a story about the birds and the bees...

Stephls said:
And how did this happen?

Reaction score
I am jealous of Stephls. I have been trying for 5 years to get my big expensive koi to spawn and have had no success. I am in Connecticut and was told that the warm season is not long enough, but if it is warm enough in Quebec, it is even warmer here.

Then I was told that because the water was not too clear for some years that the koi could not see each other.

I have concluded that they are just gay...Or of the same sex and I have no way to tell koi sex.

harry

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Have you considered surrogate bearing or adoption?
hdavid44 said:
I am jealous of Stephls. I have been trying for 5 years to get my big expensive koi to spawn and have had no success. I am in Connecticut and was told that the warm season is not long enough, but if it is warm enough in Quebec, it is even warmer here.

Then I was told that because the water was not too clear for some years that the koi could not see each other.

I have concluded that they are just gay...Or of the same sex and I have no way to tell koi sex.

harry

Reaction score
I have already adopted the more prolific comets and shubunken..'

If all else fails I shall request volunteers for artificial insemination... pick of the litter payback,

Unless all I have are males in which case I will ask for help with gender modification surgery/hormones.

H

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
God where is this forum going tonight John, Mucky its all getting rather silly is it not stolen sushi surrogate fish artificial insemination

:nananananana:

Dave

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
hdavid44 said:
I have already adopted the more prolific comets and shubunken..'

If all else fails I shall request volunteers for artificial insemination... pick of the litter payback,

Unless all I have are males in which case I will ask for help with gender modification surgery/hormones.

H
If you have all males, try adopting females from China, they have a surplus.
I'd volunteer for artificial insemination myself, except it's too cold for me to get into the water.
Just curious, is same sex fish marriage allowed in CT?
To sex koi, show them a picture of a female koi. The ones who show an interest are male, of course unless they're gay.

Reaction score
I shall have to exile myself from this forum --going downhill at accelerating speed...

I think it will be a lot cheaper to just buy a few new koi and hope one of them has the right child bearing hips...

I forgot, they do not do live-births??

H

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
hdavid44 said:
I shall have to exile myself from this forum --going downhill at accelerating speed...

I think it will be a lot cheaper to just buy a few new koi and hope one of them has the right child bearing hips...

I forgot, they do not do live-births??

H
Sorry to see you leave, just when it was going good.
But to answer your last question, they are egg layers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
hdavid44 try not to worry non about your koi not breeding we started way back in the late 80's our two oldest koi are 27 years old ok so we kept them in a huge indoor aquarium up until we went outside 6 years ago., we didnt expect them to breed in there.
However weve still notl hear the patter of little tiny fins .
Will they breed are ours all male or all female I dont know but I do know you have to get things just right before it will happen it seems that our club members all seem to see spawning after heavy rain .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
We'll good morning,
Bonjour et merci
here's the picture of the lucky one. Not a very good one though.Thanks for the info, I will probably put him in with my ranchus

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 247
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Could you give us either a side on photo or a full frontal photo its the only way for us to really identify it as a koi however nice shot for your first attempt

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Holy cow, your first koi baby, assuming nothing else dropped an egg into your pond, and it's a tri color. Congrats! Loved all the silly banter above. :claphands:
There are people here on this forum who got plants from another person, and those plants came with eggs that hatched and new babies were spotted. I had koi babies last year, 4 of them survived the "feast" of eggs and fry, but have spotted not a one this year. Last year was 2nd year for koi. Goldfish were making babies each year, but not this year. Several others have mentioned no babies this year. I don't do anything special to save the eggs/fry, survival of the fittest ... and fastest. Wondering if something happened differently this year with the weather, or something else, or if the fish were just more aggressive to eat all the eggs.

Ask a Question