Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I am working on a outdoor/indoor are for box turtles so I can take in more than three as they are native to my area and I get many requests to take them in. I guess I did it out of my hatred for having to say no to someone who has a sick or ingured box turtle or one they cant care for because I think it would be stupid, clumsy and frankly cruel to take one in and not be able to care for it properly. The new habitat will be 40% outdoor and 60% indoor (climate controlled greenhouse) and will mean I can now care for up to 10 box turtles at any given time cause they are also harder to adopt and therefor the spaces that are here are usually have a resident turtle in them for much longer terms than my aquatics do. I will upload images as soon as the panels all arrive and I get them installed to the indoor shelter part of the habitat.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Sounds great!

So why are box turtles harder to find homes for than aquatic turtles?
They don't like to live in tanks really and unless you have a really large one you have to keep them outdoors and most people don't have the real estate available nor the time to devote to making the habitat not to mention maintaining it. Plus I am very picky when it comes to what I consider "good enough" for a suitable habitat before even considering letting someone adopt one of the turtles in my care.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Sounds great!

So why are box turtles harder to find homes for than aquatic turtles?
Also sadly most turtles both aquatic and land based will die within the first year of life simply because they were kept in an unsuitable habitat. That is why I give the 3rd degree to any potential home. It is literally life and death for the turtles and if you take one it will depend on you for every single part of its life. Thats why I have so many rescue residents that were not sick or injured but simply were abandoned by their owners who could not manage the responsibility.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understood now.

Sadly the same is true with almost any type of animal. So many people get a pet because they think it's cute and then become bored with it and out it goes :(

And there is nothing wrong with asking questions of a potential adopter. It isn't unheard of to even ask for them to sign an agreement to return the animal to you should it not work out for what ever reason.​

Ask a Question