my goldfish pond with waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
can I add ice cubes made with filtered city water to cool down my pond. I lost 6 of my two dozen small goldfish I bought yesterday

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@J JoAnn Bowzer Hello and welcome!

I’m so sorry! If you think your pond water is too hot, maybe provide shade if it gets full sun. Rather than adding ice cubes, I would be more likely to freeze a couple small plastic bottles that water comes in, Gatorade, something like that, and put them in the water. You don’t want to do any drastic changes with the temperature— it’s not good for your fish.

Please tell us about your pond so we can give you good, informed information. Are you sure they died because the water was too hot? We might need to help you investigate more about what’s going on in your pond.
  • Where do you live? What type of climate?
  • How big is your pond?
  • Are these the only fish you have? If not, how many and what kind do you have?
  • Is this a newly set-up pond?
  • what is the temperature of your pond water?
  • What kind of filter do you have?

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1597093732127.gif
@J JoAnn Bowzer
So sorry for the loss of your fish and I like the bottles of frozen water idea and maybe rig up some poles w/a piece of material for a shade. Filtered city water would still contain chlorine if they put that in the water system. You will need some chlorine remover to add to your pond water if that's the case. Chlorine will kill the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
can I add ice cubes made with filtered city water to cool down my pond. I lost 6 of my two dozen small goldfish I bought yesterday
I agree with Mmathis. Please provide more information about your pond. Is the water over 85 degrees? If not it probably isn’t a water temperature issue. There are two many unanswered questions about your pond to give you good advice.

Ask a Question