My Koi Pond Pictures :)

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I'm Chris, and this is the koi pond i built last year. my wife and i were having coffee at the pond this morning, and she just started snapping picture after picture. she did awesome, thanks baby!! I've got about 5000 gallons here, 4' deep and 17-18' circumference irregular circular pond. The skimmer houses 2 pumps, one for each waterfall. The koi i have range in age from 1 month old (the 1" little babies are everywhere this year!) to over 5 years old (several adult koi were given to me) and a little over 2 feet long. i also have over 50 goldfish, shubunkin, comet, etc. There are also quite a few frogs that live here, i took the liberty of naming them all Fred, because i cannot differentiate between them :) I constructed my backyard around the pond, it sits directly off of the deck and is the focal point of the yard. The pond has matured quite well, and the biological filters (i.e., the waterfall tubs) really, really keep the water clear and filtered. I didn't spend a ton of money on filter media for the waterfalls, i used a bunch of loofahs (those puffy things that my wife uses in the shower, actually, i think they're loofahs lol) i bought from the dollar store and packed them into the falls tubs. i made about 20 trips in my truck to pick the rocks from a drained lake that is local here, there were thousands to pick from. the liner is fish safe 40 mil black rubber, with an underlayment. it took me about a month to build the pond itself, but if i did not have a bobcat dig the hole, i probably would have still been out there digging a year later. :) i hope everybody likes it, it's my favorite place in the world to be. if you have any questions how i ran the pipes, overflow drainage, how i found the water line for skimmer placement, etc etc, please let me know and i will answer you as best i can. feel free to use any of my ideas if you find something you like, and i hope my pond brings a little piece of sunshine to your day!! thanks for looking!!

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 463
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 442
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 428
  • fred2.jpg
    fred2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 434
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 451
  • pond3.jpg
    pond3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 461
  • pond4.jpg
    pond4.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 463
  • pond5.jpg
    pond5.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 399
  • pond6.jpg
    pond6.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 400
  • pond7.jpg
    pond7.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 363
Reaction score
p.s. for some reason the last few pictures uploaded sideways, sorry for the inconvenience!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
another-fish-welcome.gif
To our group. That is a beautiful pond and great looking fish! Glad you joined our group.

Reaction score
im sorry the pictures posted sideways! on my computer they are right side up, i don't know why it did that. ahhh, technology. :) mucky waters, i have a thin layer of pea gravel at the bottom of the pond at the lowest point, and some smooth flat rocks mixed with pea gravel on the bottom of the 1st tier (there is a 2' deep section around then a wall that goes down into the deepest part). thank you all for the warm welcome, i appreciate the posts and im glad everybody likes it :) everybody should have a pond, it is natures therapy in so many ways.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great looking pond and some nice looking fish but men with there boy toys ,geeze I dug my pond out myself .Can't see the top part of your pond and see you did add more than one filter and 1 for each waterfall ,I always think more filtering really helps .I 'm glad you built it to enjoy it .I built mine off my front porch and the view and the pond are the main attractions ,but full sun does cause problems .

Ask a Question