waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hope you can save a few good luck.

THe water spots, are you sure they are fibers? Salt residue has no fibers. More likely it is the bacteria supplement the guy put in for you as the powdered ones contain fibers.

Do I see rocks on the bottom? IF so that can be your cause of fish death. Too much crud accumulation over 5 years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, it's the day after I used the treatment for flukes and it's the first night that none have died. I have them in the holding tank still but pond is getting cleaned and refilled as I write this - here's hoping. Will need to let the pond warm up before I put them in.

Any other recommendations before returning them (assuming it was flukes or something of that nature)?

I believe I'm down to 5 fish - so hard to see in there because of the aerator bubbles.

Thank you.
Make sure they stay in the tank till the treatment has done its stuff, its not a question of just dipping them they need the full benifit of the treatment , how are they doing , have you noticed them coming off the bottom and starting to take an interest in life again?

Dave

Reaction score
Hello - Sorry for the time away, had to travel for work and other life-distractions. So, I think that overall I have good news. The fish that were in the holding tank were doing well but we lost 2 more that I think were beyond repair. That left me with only 2 fish from the original batch - a very large one and one medium-sized. These two, while in the holding tank, looked very happy/healthy/hungry.

Before putting them back in the tank, we put 2 new fish into the pond... and waited. The 2 new fish stayed healthy for 6 days, so we added the two old fish from the holding tank - that was last Wednesday. So all 4 fish have been healthy for 6 days in the pond... I think I can take a deep breath. The only thing I need is to get new lilly pads (hopefully this week). My cousin and I did a bunch of regrading to avoid runoff (figuring that even if that wasn't the root cause, it's always good to avoid water running into the pond).

Looking back on this I think I can say that they had a disease - most likely flukes, and most likely from the carnival fish. This disease was compounded but the overcrowding in the pond. I learned a lot and I am thankful for everyone's help. I will keep you posted and hopefully if I come to this forum again it's informational and not because of an issue.

Last edited:

Ask a Question