"Natural" Remedies for Green Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
The water in my 750L pond is opaque green. Unfortunately, the pond is in full sun most of the day, but I do have a screen up to shade it. There's a combined filter/fountain with UV light (bulb just changed and making no difference), a lot of elodea canadensis and a fair few marginals. I have about a dozen small fish - biggest is about 4".

I really dislike the green water and I can't believe the fish are crazy about it either. But of course I don't want to be tossing chemicals into the pond.

My question is: I see there are a lot of "natural" treatments for green water, mostly in the form of powders. Are they effective?

[Pic just to embarrass myself]
pond 23 .04.24.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The "natural" treatment for green water is more plants!! Fast growing marginals & floaters are great at sucking up the excess nutrients that lead to an algae bloom.

Sadly , I haven't room for any more plants. Unless there are some that literally float..

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Water lettuce and water hyacinth float. Lettuce did best for me, would come close to covering the whole surface of my pond but some litter too. They have since banned both of them in my state.

You can make out the green water I used to have to the left in my avatar photo.

I added a little bog filter to my system which includes three turtle tubs, after seeing them mentioned on the forum and have never had green water since. Just a baby bog, about 2' x 3' and 1-2' deep, used old aquarium gravel and cattails I had.

Looks like you might just have a solar pump? That looks like some nice rockwork at the right, a patio?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would also like to suggest a mini-bog. Any sort of container that you can (you can always improve on it later) that is full of gravel and plants. You can get a pump to run some of your pond water underneath the gravel and then let it slowly percolate up and through it and then out the top to return it to the pond. It could even be setting in your pond. I think it would help a lot! Good luck and welcome.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh i see room for a small bog you have all those plants in pots. Time to ditch the pots and look at the bog plants you can grow . Bogs can be any size and shape. In the 6 years on this site i know of only Two folks where the bog did not work as they hoped and one was inundated with roots into the piping . while the other there pipes broke thus clogging so . The bog has a pretty good track record

Ask a Question