New pond and not sure where to start

Reaction score
Hello and welcome!

I saw some one on this site mention a floating filter and UV light a few days ago. I looked a similar one up on Amazon. I don't know if you are planning to keep fish or not, that would be a huge decision when picking a filter and aerating the water. If you don't plan on fish, but want clear water this looks like a fairly good option (I've never tried this pump before). If you want fish I would beef it up much more, but it might be a good starting place.

http://www.amazon.com/Pond-FUVFL-Co...1396229494&sr=8-1&keywords=floating+UV+filter

Good luck to you!

Erin Sterling

My Pond!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've never seen a pond like this before. To keep the water clean you're going to want a pump, and a filter. Pond plants can help shade the pond and some are good at filtration and adding oxygen. I'm not sure what the deer will do with the plants. You should try underwater plants like Hornwort and a maybe add Waterlily in the center to make it harder for deer to reach. See what they do and slowly add more plants if it works out. I can see this pond being fantastic once its ready. Lets just hope the deer don't cause problems.
Hey thanks! I agree it's a strange pond. As a beginner its really thrown me for a loop. Definitely agree about the pump and filter. The question has been how to hide them since the pond is freestanding and away from any walls, shrubs etc. I'm liking the waterfall idea that came up earlier in conjunction with some added masonry work to hide it. I'll be looking into that more. As for the plants you suggest, those sound interesting too. I looked up hornwort and it looks a lot like the plant (weed) that is choking the lake at my parents house. If so, I know where I can get a lot of it and it won't matter if the deep eat it either! : ) The deer actually ate my chives this year and they sampled my marigolds as well. Chives are basically onions and they are supposed to hate marigolds so nothing would surprise me at this point. May have to get a dog!! Thanks again for your suggestion. I am going to start taking notes!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and I remember my pond here had deer visitors and kept thinking my pond was leaking turned out deer thought it was a drinking hole for them.Brand new liner and I was feeding the deer corn and i guess they figured what the hey we are thirsty

Attachments

• bucks in our yard 001.jpg
    bucks in our yard 001.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 296
  • a day of deer 001.jpg
    a day of deer 001.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 318

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Definitely agree about the pump and filter. The question has been how to hide them since the pond is freestanding and away from any walls, shrubs etc.

Hiding the pump is as simple as tucking it between two planters underwater, but I personally don't hide mine, I just leave it sit on the bottom. With the filter, maybe you could get a half barrel with liner, get it sturdy up on the ledge somehow, make a container bog out of it, and somehow have it spill back into the pond. That way its a decorative and would look more like a nice feature rather than a filter.

Erin Sterling

My Pond!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you have he space where you could put a waterfall on one side of the pond, I am thinking then you might be able to disguise your filter in that. There is a pond on here that has a setup you might be able to use I will look and see if I can find it.
Thanks again for this suggestion. I got a suggestion from someone else to hire a masonry company to build out the existing stone work to hide the filter. I'm now thinking I might be able to have them build a shelf out from the ledge that can accommodate a waterfall and them hide the filter under that. That might work really well! I would love to have a waterfall - just didn't think it was feasible for this pond.

Erin Sterling

My Pond!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
welcome and I remember my pond here had deer visitors and kept thinking my pond was leaking turned out deer thought it was a drinking hole for them.Brand new liner and I was feeding the deer corn and i guess they figured what the hey we are thirsty
Funny you say that! I've been thinking my pond is leaking too but maybe the deer are drinking it. Time to set up a video camera! Ha ha

Erin Sterling

My Pond!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hello and welcome!

I saw some one on this site mention a floating filter and UV light a few days ago. I looked a similar one up on Amazon. I don't know if you are planning to keep fish or not, that would be a huge decision when picking a filter and aerating the water. If you don't plan on fish, but want clear water this looks like a fairly good option (I've never tried this pump before). If you want fish I would beef it up much more, but it might be a good starting place.

http://www.amazon.com/Pond-FUVFL-Complete-Floating-Filter/dp/B0068MWHVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396229494&sr=8-1&keywords=floating UV filter

Good luck to you!
Hi! Thank you for this suggestion. I wish I had known about this product for after I first cleared it out last spring. It looked great for 2 weeks but it went straight back to swamp water soon after that. Something like this may have helped! I do have goldfish in there but I don't even have to feed them. They live on swamp water I guess! I'm sure I'll have to feed them once I get things cleaned up but for now they seem to be doing just fine.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Here, cheaper than a liner and just as effective.

67226019.jpg

It'll get rid of that "swimming pool blue" look.

I've used this a couple of times on pre-existing concrete work and was pleased with the ease of application and with the overall result. Round pools are a pain for liners due to the large number of "pleats" needed to achieve a circle. This product is flexible when cured, and also has the added bonus that it permanently seals any cracks that you may have in the concrete. Fish-safe, as well.

The poster Crsublette posted this just the other day, that might solve your "waterfall" question. I think it would be a better idea to use this rather than a waterfall, given the formal look of your "pond" (which to me more resembles a lily pool).

There is an unlimited variety of earthenware pots, urns, jugs, whatever. Reference crsublette's post for filling this structure with filtering material.

mm-32.jpg

Using this idea would also give you the ability to incorporate a semi-permanent (and virtually maintenance-free) filter system.

Something similar to this could sit on top of a series of a series of interconnected milk crates. You could cut out the sides of some of the milk crates in order to house the pump and pre-filter while still achieving your desire to filter, but not to see the mechanical aspect of the design. Put flagstone on top of the milk-carton matrix to hide the tops.

Most of these planters already have a drainage hole in the bottom, so sticking a black PVC pipe up the middle of it, connecting it to hose through the milk-carton matrix, connecting it to the pump/pre-filter and filling it with lava rock shouldn't present any great problems. That's why the milk-carton matrix idea is a good one, You need to support the weight. You can connect 4 milk cartons together using black zip-ties.

I would recommend using flexible sump pump hose for the connection between the black outflow pipe in the decorative container and the pump. Ease of access to the pump is important. You don't want to have to take the whole thing apart just to be able to access the pump. By using sump pump hose (which is cheap and very flexible), you'd be able to wade into the lily pool, reach under the milk carton matrix and pull out the pump/pre-filter combo without needed to disturb the decorative vase/filter.

The sides of the milk crate matrix could be hidden with natural stone. Why go to the expense of a mason, when all you're trying to achieve is to hide the milk-carton matrix? Milk cartons come in black, the epoxy coating is black......

Incorporate at least one underwater light to accentuate the fountain feature.

BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTOR (GCFI).

To keep algae at bay, I would suggest adding a dye to the water, and planting water lilies to decrease the open surface area.

Due to the flat, smooth bottom and near vertical sides of your circular lily pool, you might want to invest in an Oase PondoVac4 system. Cleaning your pond would be an absolute snap with this equipment. Not cheap, but you'd only have to buy it once and there is no better design on the market.

There is a motion-activated sprinkler available. Deer are fairly skittish and this might be a good choice. However, if this pond/pool is in your front courtyard........it might work just as well on in-laws.

Last edited:

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Given that you list your residence as Vancouver, I don't think that the depth of your pond will present any problems.

Stick with cheapie goldfish, rather than more expensive varieties of fish. There are nice goldfish out there, fancy tails, fancy patterns.

I like red cap oranadas, myself.

Additionally, it would appear that your pond volume is around 3600 gallons, so you'd need a pump that will deliver somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800 gallons per hour to move about half your pond volume every hour.

Keep in mind that your pump will have to "lift" your water from the bottom of the pond (3ft) to the top of your decorative urn/planter/whatever. You'd need to know the final height of your decorative water filter (urn/planter/whatever) to arrive at a correct height for pump "head".

If your decorative planter/filter is three feet tall, and the pump is on the bottom of the pond (3ft down), then you need a pump that will deliver approximately 1800 gallons per hour at 6 feet of head. There are on-line calculators to figure out the pump flow for "head".

You might not be able to achieve this volume of flow through your decorative planter/filter, so a larger diameter outflow PVC pipe would be needed to that you have a "gurgling" effect from the decorative planter/filter , rather than a "spray" effect that would result in trying to pump that volume of water through a smaller diameter outflow pipe.

There are PVC end caps with hose barbs available for all diameter PVC pipes. Just do a tour of your local Home Depot, Lowes or plumbing outlet.

When filling your newly renovated pond with hose water, don't forget to add de-chlorinator at the proper dosage to your total volume (which I figure is approximately 3600 gallons).

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can buy a water meter cheap to give you a great idea of pond volume .I used those calculators and funny i put in the same size pond on each one and all gave me different gallons of water .Not sure why ..But my water meter said at the end 3983 gallons of water and that is 8 inches from the top ..One said 3142 gallons and another said 2357 gallons and another said 2657 gallons and another said another one said 3659 gallons .I checked my meter and a gallon measures a gallon so not sure about those other sights .pondliner.com /dr foster and smith and then several of those pondliner sale sights .I only printed out 4 of them since i was out of printer paper .You have to go in all the stores with a ponders eye and look at things that way .Gosh i even found some of my fittings at a place that sells lawn mowers and they had lots and lots of irrigation fittings that work great .They even carried all kinds of hoses .

Erin Sterling

My Pond!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):

67226019.jpg

I've used this a couple of times on pre-existing concrete work and was pleased with the ease of application and with the overall result. Round pools are a pain for liners due to the large number of "pleats" needed to achieve a circle. This product is flexible when cured, and also has the added bonus that it permanently seals any cracks that you may have in the concrete. Fish-safe, as well.

The poster Crsublette posted this just the other day, that might solve your "waterfall" question. I think it would be a better idea to use this rather than a waterfall, given the formal look of your "pond" (which to me more resembles a lily pool).

There is an unlimited variety of earthenware pots, urns, jugs, whatever. Reference crsublette's post for filling this structure with filtering material.

mm-32.jpg

Using this idea would also give you the ability to incorporate a semi-permanent (and virtually maintenance-free) filter system.

Something similar to this could sit on top of a series of a series of interconnected milk crates. You could cut out the sides of some of the milk crates in order to house the pump and pre-filter while still achieving your desire to filter, but not to see the mechanical aspect of the design. Put flagstone on top of the milk-carton matrix to hide the tops.

Most of these planters already have a drainage hole in the bottom, so sticking a black PVC pipe up the middle of it, connecting it to hose through the milk-carton matrix, connecting it to the pump/pre-filter and filling it with lava rock shouldn't present any great problems. That's why the milk-carton matrix idea is a good one, You need to support the weight. You can connect 4 milk cartons together using black zip-ties.

I would recommend using flexible sump pump hose for the connection between the black outflow pipe in the decorative container and the pump. Ease of access to the pump is important. You don't want to have to take the whole thing apart just to be able to access the pump. By using sump pump hose (which is cheap and very flexible), you'd be able to wade into the lily pool, reach under the milk carton matrix and pull out the pump/pre-filter combo without needed to disturb the decorative vase/filter.

The sides of the milk crate matrix could be hidden with natural stone. Why go to the expense of a mason, when all you're trying to achieve is to hide the milk-carton matrix? Milk cartons come in black, the epoxy coating is black......

To keep algae at bay, I would suggest adding a dye to the water, and planting water lilies to decrease the open surface area.

Due to the flat, smooth bottom and near vertical sides of your circular lily pool, you might want to invest in an Oase PondoVac4 system. Cleaning your pond would be an absolute snap with this equipment. Not cheap, but you'd only have to buy it once and there is no better design on the market.

There is a motion-activated sprinkler available. Deer are fairly skittish and this might be a good choice. However, if this pond/pool is in your front courtyard........it might work just as well on in-laws.

Wow thank you so much! This is a fabulous reply and I apologize I've been late in responding. I actually looked into that epoxy product last year but the guy at the garden store told me it wouldn't bond to painted concrete.. He said I'd have to sandblast the blue paint before applying or it wouldn't work.. No one has suggested dying the water yet.. I may have to look into that.

67226019.jpg

mm-32.jpg

Wow! This is a great answer! Sorry I've taken so long to reply - life got busy.. ; ) I actually looked into that epoxy product late last year but the garden store worker told me it won't adhere to a painted concrete surface. Not sure if that agrees with your past experience or not?

No one has suggested dying the water yet.. That's an interesting suggestion as well. I'll have to look up some photos to see what that looks like.

The urn in the center was my original idea.. It wasn't until coming on this forum that I thought a waterfall might work. After taking a few weeks to think about it, I think you are right and that "formal" is a good descriptor for my pond. The urn in the middle is the better idea. A maintenance free filter sounds fabulous! I have seen the pre-filters in the garden shop and I totally plan to buy one. I'm not sure I understand your suggestion for how to position the pump under the crates but I agree that accessibility is important. I was thinking I could just put the pump in the urn but I totally see what you're saying! I'll have to do some more research to be sure I have a plan for that - same goes for the ground fault circuit. I don't even know what that is yet. ; )

My boyfriend was the one that was most concerned about the filter being visible and I'm happy to say he has come around somewhat. We will buy one of those boulder-shells to disguise it or maybe plant some pots around it..

We went to the store a few weeks ago and this was what they suggested:

15 X 15 foot liner $225

Ezbio11 Prefilter $59.99

Aquascape Aquasurge 2000 Pond Pump $399.95

Oase Filto Clear 1600 Pressure filter with UVC $399.95

I found an urn I like for about $100.00 so it looks like I'll be spending about $1500.00 after taxes but that's without the cap stones and mortar. Expensive stuff! I will shop around but this is my starting point.

Your comment on the water sprayer solution for the deer made me laugh. The pond is right in front of our main entry so I don't think it would be just the in-laws getting wet. Finally, that vac system looks awesome.. I think I will have to put that off a year or so though.. Maybe the filter and prefilter system will be enough?

Thanks again for all your help!

Erin

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Rather than use an EPDM liner, I'd rent a sandblaster and get rid of the paint. A liner in a circular pond is going to create an awful lot of folds when installed. I really do think that using the flexible epoxy is your best bet. You wouldn't be able to bond capstones to an EPDM liner, either. Spend the money to get the concrete basin sandblasted. You can rent a sandblaster pretty well anywhere, and the media is inexpensive. You could sandblast the thing for less that the cost of the liner.

As to positioning the pump under the crates, that's pretty simple. Get yourself 4-6 milk crates, zip tie then all together into a rectangle/square. Cut the milk crates to size with a jigsaw, they're plastic so it's easy, cut away one side of the milk carton "mass" so that you'll be able to pass your pump under the milk crates. Put some flagstones on top of the crates to disguise them. Put your urn on top of the flagstones. Run the pump outlet hose through the bottom of the urn, fill the urn with lava rock.......voila......trickle tower filter. You'd probably have to take the urn out of the pool once a year, dump the lava rock out, hose it off and put it back in.

As to the pump size, you can achieve the desired outflow by trying different diameters of PVC pipe (ie. 2", 4"). The larger the pipe (that's in the urn, fed by the pump), the less "spray" and the more "gurgle".

With a pre-filter on the pump, you wouldn't really need a secondary filter. I'd stay away from a pressure filter, they're problems waiting to happen. UV is expensive, and I think for your application it's money pumped away.

A ground fault circuit interrupter is essential. It's the same thing you'll find in your house (most likely in one of your bathrooms). It's the wall outlet with the two little buttons on the face (red/blue usually). One is "Test", the other is "Reset". They're designed to automatically trip the power off in the event of a circuit interruption, so you don't get zapped. With electricity and water, it's absolutely essential that you have one.

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it's progressing.

Reaction score
We went to the store a few weeks ago and this was what they suggested:

15 X 15 foot liner $225

Ezbio11 Prefilter $59.99

Aquascape Aquasurge 2000 Pond Pump $399.95

Oase Filto Clear 1600 Pressure filter with UVC $399.95

I found an urn I like for about $100.00 so it looks like I'll be spending about $1500.00 after taxes but that's without the cap stones and mortar. Expensive stuff! I will shop around but this is my starting point.

Erin

I would say this is some terrible advice. Any type of pond store etc is going to sell you as much as they can, and at double what you should be paying for it.

Reaction score
A 15x15 foot liner would be too small for the pond if it is 3 feet deep in the middle. For the correct size you need the actual measurement for the sides (x 2) or if tapers down to the middle, the maximum depth x 2 + the width or length. So 15 feet wide + 3 feet + 3 feet + 1 for for overlap = 22 feet. If round, you would need at least 22feet x 22 feet liner (just over 6 metres by 6 metres).

Ask a Question