night bloomers all day

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
A cold front came through here Tuesday. The low temp has been in the 40s and the highs have been in the 60s since. The night bloomers have been open since Tuesday night. This is their normal reaction to cold weather.

Attachments

• hoop7.JPG
    hoop7.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 299
  • hoop8.JPG
    hoop8.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 298
  • hoop5.JPG
    hoop5.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 259
  • hoop6.JPG
    hoop6.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 470
  • hoop9.JPG
    hoop9.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 269

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Is that about the same color as the one I got from you or do you know? Those look nice, I love the deep dark pink flower with the red tone leaves. Panama Pacific is still blooming here and another un-named hybrid I got from Kat bloomed this morning, a very small light blue flower with yellow center., The one I got from you has a bud coming up but it's coming up very slow, still hasn't broken the surface, and I'm crossing my fingers that I'm going to get one bloom from the lotus I started this year, big bud but not open yet.
How did the cover handle all that wind? It got pretty rough over here by night fall, then last night we hit 39 for a low. It blew the top off my filter on the small pond and emptied about 2/3rds of the water Tues. night when the filler tube poured all the water out on the ground. Going to have to modify that before the stronger cold fronts start coming in., I was just able to get it filled all the way back up today, Guess those guys got a good water change!!!! Oh and the water this morning read 59 in the big pond so I guess it's official, put away the high protein growth food and break out the wheat germ.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the night bloomer fishin sent me has been blooming all day all summer, think it is confused. But is sure is pretty

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Larkin, The first pic is the one I gave you. The third and fourth are a darker red and has more petals, but I havent divided it yet. Next year I'll have more of them. We had strong winds , but no damage. lots of leaves everywhere. I don't even try to keep leaves out of the deck ponds. They are for water lilies not fish. The pots have holes in them so the roots can get extra nutrition from the muck. The water is kinda brown, but clear enough to see seedlings growing on the bottom in two feet of water. Low temp here was 41 this morning. Water temp in the original greenhouse was 74 last night. It's not completely closed yet becaust the high this weekend will be in the 80s. The temp inside could get to 120 if it's closed up then.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Addy, the one I sent you, It's slightly more pink and has greener leaves than those, correct? I'm hoping all mine survive the winter, I've now got light pink, (Texas Shell and Ceylon Pink) Mid Pink, (Emily G Hutchins, Celon Pink, Rosa De La Noche, and the Hybrid I got from Minnowman, and a deep red, (Red Flare) Plus four more tropicals and three hardies, I've got to make a bigger display for next year!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Gary, How big is that flower? Is it that it's just close to the camera or is that bloom that much bigger than the leaves?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, the one I sent you, It's slightly more pink and has greener leaves than those, correct? I'm hoping all mine survive the winter, I've now got light pink, (Texas Shell and Ceylon Pink) Mid Pink, (Emily G Hutchins, Celon Pink, Rosa De La Noche, and the Hybrid I got from Minnowman, and a deep red, (Red Flare) Plus four more tropicals and three hardies, I've got to make a bigger display for next year!

Yep it is a deep pink, the leaves are scalloped, rough edges.

i am sticking it in the basement for the winter see if it lives.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thanks, it bloomed well, just all day, not a night bloomer which was fine with me, i sleep at night

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Addy, That's funny it blooms like that for you but not real surprising, Some of mine right now stay open all day and night, some close for a short time during the day, I'm pretty sure that's a baby from my Rosa De La Noche', Gary that sounds about right, in the pic it looks like the flower is twice the size of the leaves :) about a average size flower for most of the night bloomers. I would love it if that one that had twice as many pedals would produce like that all the time, that was a VERY pretty night blooming lily flower, Too bad it was a one time bloom!

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
I'll just have to keep that picture handy. Maybe it will do it again when it gets cold.

Attachments

• am19-3 003.JPG
    am19-3 003.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 295

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It looks so similar yet so different than normal blooms, It's too bad it doesn't do it all the time, I think that would be a big hit in the lily collecting hobby!

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Here's a shot of the same lily today. It is a very nice flower, but it doesent have the spots of the other shot. I held my breath all last Winter hoping that original flower would repeat itself.

Attachments

• am19 (2).JPG
    am19 (2).JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 284

Ask a Question