Oops... 2 New koi headed my way!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
an ochiba, chagoi, and/or soragoi, are a great addition to a pond. fast growing and get large.. they are also like the pond leaders.. social, friendly, and bravest of koi... they will soon eat from your hand and the others will follow.

Reaction score
Thanks @Priscilla !! I'm equally as excited. I'll try to get some good photos posted once they are here in the pond. Probably won't be as good as their "profile pics" here... but I'll try!

I two just ended up with two new fish. Not beauties like you posted, but two koi from the pet store here were missing an eye each, they had been in the koi tank for 6 months or so. The guys asked me to take them (for free). These now make 4 one eye koi in my pond. I'm like the over crowded humane society. Green water and all :( Oh well! They have a nice big home, the water is testing good and an expansion is planned this year when it cools down. I'll have to add another 1000 galls or so (don't tell the hubby!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
an ochiba, chagoi, and/or soragoi, are a great addition to a pond. fast growing and get large.. they are also like the pond leaders.. social, friendly, and bravest of koi... they will soon eat from your hand and the others will follow.
Yes koi guy I have to agree with you there the Ochiba , Chagio and /or soragoi are noted for their size and how fast they attain it , they are noted for being the most social and friendly of koi the peace makers of the pond and show leadership:pompous: in that what they do the other koi follow .
However we arent sure teaching to hand feed is a good idea especially if your area is noted for preditors :eek:

Thanks @Priscilla !! I'm equally as excited. I'll try to get some good photos posted once they are here in the pond. Probably won't be as good as their "profile pics" here... but I'll try!
C note as much as you want them in the pond I'd not be tempted to add them to the pond Cnote until they are QT'd , you dont know
if your introducing anything to the pond otherwise which is exactly what we dont want my friend .
Talk about exited , I dont know about you but we are , photo's when they arrive please .Ta :happy:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
@Dave 54 the great part is... They QT each fish for 14 days before posting them for sale. They monitor individually for any health issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Dave 54 the great part is... They QT each fish for 14 days before posting them for sale. They monitor individually for any health issues.
Personally C Note its simply not worth the risk my friend , I have had pre QT'd koi turn around and bite me simply because of this , you only have it on the companies say so, you've not been witness too it have you ?,
So the most logical step now would be to QT the new koi as their new owners "correct"?
I know you want them in the pond and all "dont we all my friend" but act wisely so it doesnt come back to bite you.
One thing I did note on their web page "fatalities"!!!...... "which says from time to time koi dont make it through to their new owners" , thus we have to ask ourselves "Why"!!!!.....

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I occasionally think about "one more koi", as I have four. I do have a live stock tank, but don't have separate filters etc, for QT. I also don't have an "extra" fish to keep them company . It seems like it would have to spend a good part of summer in QT, if it's 6 weeks.....I'm not sure, but keep thinking about it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I occasionally think about "one more koi", as I have four. I do have a live stock tank, but don't have separate filters etc, for QT. I also don't have an "extra" fish to keep them company . It seems like it would have to spend a good part of summer in QT, if it's 6 weeks.....I'm not sure, but keep thinking about it :)
Tula here if we get a new koi we will QT it for 8 weeks not 4 or 6

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Dave, I think the fatalities it mentions are fish that arrive dead. Most companies that ship fish guarantee they arrive alive, but not after that. So, fatalities would be those that didn't make the one-day trip. Not sure, just my guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I posted a thread titled Sapphire koi, under koi and fish talk. I'm considering the purchase of one. The price is reasonable and they're offering free shipping on them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I posted a thread titled Sapphire koi, under koi and fish talk. I'm considering the purchase of one. The price is reasonable and they're offering free shipping on them.
Oooooo, I'll go check that out. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Personally C Note its simply not worth the risk my friend , I have had pre QT'd koi turn around and bite me simply because of this , you only have it on the companies say so, you've not been witness too it have you ?,
So the most logical step now would be to QT the new koi as their new owners "correct"?
I know you want them in the pond and all "dont we all my friend" but act wisely so it doesnt come back to bite you.
One thing I did note on their web page "fatalities"!!!...... "which says from time to time koi dont make it through to their new owners" , thus we have to ask ourselves "Why"!!!!.....

Dave

I know. You are definitely right, and that's the safest approach. I need to purchase and set up a QT facility at home, as I don't current;y have anything. Well, I have a 100 gallon stock tank sitting around, but I need to set it up with filtration. I guess it wouldn't be too much effort, and well worth it. 100 gallons should support these small guys for a bit (7-8" fish).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States

That's my favorite thing, @koiguy1969 . I've had my big Chagoi for a month or so now, and he completely changed the social dynamics in my pond. I wanted an Ochiba in part because they are derived from Chagoi, and in part because I just love the subtle-yet-stunning coloration. Can't wait to see them in person tomorrow!!!!

Ask a Question