Organic compost heap a free source of food

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If you have an organic compost heap you can crop it of worms for your fish on a very regular basis but it has to be organic**.
If you only remove the middle sized worms leaving the large for breeding and the small to grow on you'll have a never ending (free) souce of nutitous food.
We crop around 30 medium sized worms a fortnight during the summer months keeping the compost heap viable at the same time with the rest of the worms breaking the compost down.
Tiger worms are the best for this purpose, koi go nuts for them and it gives them a very welcome change from Pelleted foods.
** its imperative that your comost heap doesnt contain pesticides etc besides some of the old fashioned ways of keeping down pests do acctually work try them out.
Soapy water removes aphids from your plants just put a few drops of washing up liquid in a spray topped bottle at water and spray your plants, a beer trap keeps the slugs and snails down as does spreading sharp silver sand aound your plants which slugs and snails do not pass.
Another way of using the bounty that mother nature provides is to lay down part rotted wood arund the garden after a short while woodlice or pill bugs will take up residence underneath the wood and start to breed , after a month or two you can then crop them and place the wood back for more slugs are another source of food we feed ours the smaller ones leaving the larger to the hedge hog that comes through the garden at nights in retrurn to mother nature you are creating a cpost heap free of pestisides that you can then spread on your garden safe in the knowedge your not poisoning the soil nor the bugs, slugs, insects and worms so important to nature cropping only a small amount each time you visit the compost heaps and wood traps

Dave

Reaction score
Well apparently my koi don't like slugs because I find them floating in the pond at times, white and bloated lol
Craig what ya got there in your profile pic? You and your friend duck hunting? :)

Reaction score
We have tons of worms in our soil. My 6 year old love to find worms and watch the koi and goldies eat em. :) it's so cute when he's got a fist full and talk to the fish, telling the ones that already had their worm to "stop taking all the worms!" lol so funny.
Some of the worms on our property are HUGE! They look like small snakes! Not kidding, some are more than a foot long and as big around as my pinkie :huh: lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well apparently my koi don't like slugs because I find them floating in the pond at times, white and bloated lol
Craig what ya got there in your profile pic? You and your friend duck hunting? :)

I'm a K9 handler for Search and Rescue. She's a search and rescue dog for wilderness searches. Heck with ducks! We hunt people! :)

Craig

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Let's say it's challenging. You gotta love training. And being in any weather. We don't get a lot of calls in a given year and when we do, they are often too late to be of benefit to the lost person. But yes.. It's fun for me.

Craig

Ask a Question