Personal Weather Stations

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Does anybody have experience with using Personal Weather Stations?

I like the Storm app for weather on my iPhone, and I noticed I'm getting the current conditions from a PWS in my neighborhood. This got me intrigued and now the more I research them, the more I want one! Here's an overview on wunderground:
https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/overview.asp

Searching on GPF I only had 1 hit on "Personal Weather Station" and it was a brief discussion 3 years ago with @FountainMan and @addy1 about their stations:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/what-is-your-weather-like-today.8445/page-482#post-222595

I'm not ready to spend the coin to get what seems to be the best on the market, a higher end Davis unit. The one in my neighborhood is the Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP Observer. Per reviews, it seems to be of good build quality and is accurate. I desire the feature of the receiver being hard wired into my network, not USB to a PC. I'd also like an indoor display so I can see at a glance the temps, rather than having to load up an app.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O9YIEJW/

Costco and Amazon have a good price on another unit, the AcuRite Pro 5-in-1. It has the IP based receiver and an indoor display unit, but reviews seem to suggest a lower build quality and slightly less accurate data.
https://www.costco.com/AcuRite-Pro-...Rite-Remote-Monitoring.product.100291909.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm fascinated by the weather. I have a tall pole I was going to use for a martin house, but have decided against that. Not sure my pole is big enough to handle all this equipment though - LOL !

Reaction score
I looked into getting some kind of setup a while bac, looked like a lot of fun. But yeah, serious coin and there are already 4 stations within a mile of my house that I can access via Weather Underground so I passed. Very cool to see the differences in reporting like right now 2 stations less than a block apart reporting and one reporting 66F and the other 70F.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I've had a Davis weather station for 9 years that I haven't had to replace any components on.
Work the math out on a less expensive unit and how long you expect it to last before you have to buy it again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been using Davis for over 20 years now, love them. I did update my system about 9 years ago, still using the old one somewhere else with no internet access.

We do have the acurite station, bought from costco, for 79 for our RV. Just because I just love watching the weather. It gives us wind, rain etc They have one now that sends the data to your cell phone.

We have a few that our just temp and humidity that I use when in Florida, they were around 39 at costco.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know this is old but just found it. Weather phob here. Having a farm we very much had to be aware of weather. I follow NOAA. My phone has several apps. Where we live now, there is a weather station in our little park down the street.I left our fancy weather system at the farm. Bought an Accurite for this house. I have the wind meter on my garden shed and the base station in the sunroom. I also took a weather spotter class. That was amazing. Several of my friends have the Accurite too. Good value for the price.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a wife!!! she gets migraines when it rains i don't need to look at any app or news report. she woke to one this morning a sure enough were looking at 18 to 24" of snow in two days

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a wife!!! she gets migraines when it rains i don't need to look at any app or news report. she woke to one this morning a sure enough were looking at 18 to 24" of snow in two days
ditto

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When I can hear the train whistle in town 7 miles away I know it is going to rain
1643222432916.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When it starts falling from the sky I know it is going to rain. Quite often the storms miss us, go around us, south or north of us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When it starts falling from the sky I know it is going to rain. Quite often the storms miss us, go around us, south or north of us.
I hear ya; working outside, IF I EVER listened to the weather 'sperts' and believed them, I'd be home more than half the time instead of working! Though, their record this last summer was a LOT more accurate than in decades that I can remember...

smiley-freezing-Xsml-anigif.gif
smiley partly cloudy.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Though, their record this last summer was a LOT more accurate than in decades that I can remember...
Not here, we have some hills that seem to break up the storms that come from the north/west and west. If a storm is coming from the east or south, we usually get smacked with that one. They predict rain and not a drop, no snow etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not here, we have some hills that seem to break up the storms that come from the north/west and west. If a storm is coming from the east or south, we usually get smacked with that one. They predict rain and not a drop, no snow etc.
you got hills, I got LAKES! Unless you're on the eastward side of the snow, lake effect snow is real and can be counted on! PLUS! Where I live (city of Bloomfield Hills), I call the area I'm bounded by (3 major roads a mile away forming the shape) Bloomfield Triange, not because we lose people mysteriously but because the weahter here seems to be different than surrounding areas. Seriously.

Ask a Question