United States
1 degree right now will be a minus by the time the sun comes up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Wow, what an ordeal with yuor Yukon, CE!
Glad he's back. Dogs are tough creatures, no doubt. Up here a grand pyrnees pup was frozen in a local river, limbs included, for 24 hours. He wound being cut out of the ice and only maybe losing his tail.
I've gone out with our dogs lately and I use those GPS collars, they work great.

This winter will be remembered for a while, no doubt. I think we're going to have a cold snap down to -30 this weekend, but it's only for a day or two.
Then back up to around freezing.
Maybe you folks down south will have a few less bugs this coming spring with the cold you're getting. :biggrin:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Freeze them bug good!! They bug my vine in the summer so I am not complaining about the extra cold weather today, going down to minus 28 C, (minus 19 Fahrenheit) tonight!!

Hi HO... Off to work I GO! was supposed to be my day off!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
windchill for here tmrw night and monday has produced a wind chill watch for values as low as 25 to 35 BELOW zero...not real normal for our neck of the woods...oh I can see someone calling in to work tmrw and me having to go unload the freight truck because there's no heat in the back room. (and there would go my day off) Hope the small hole the deicer has made in my pond will stay!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
would love it if it would kill some of those stink bugs. darn cold this winter. The bubblers are doing a great job at keeping a hole in the ice. Have a ice dam forming around the bubbles

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We have 3 feet of snow pretty much everywhere now. The darn deer are coming right up to the house to dig for food because the snow is not as deep close to the house. I hope they're only eating old weeds! ha,ha.
Addy, now that you're both fully retired, I'll bet you and your hubby will be a lot more busy than you were when you were working!
Congratulations!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonderful news Ce about your pup Yukon! What a trip he took and wonder if he learned his lesson or wait maybe he found out that all those people were so nice to him giving him porkchops and all that he may make this a regular occasion :biggrin:
Weather here sunny and 30f. Going down to 21f tonight. Gosh it is just gorgeous out there right now. Need to go,go,go. Maybe trim some stuff out there that is all browned up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Colleen, we didn't have any freezing rain or any type of falling moisture from the sky when I took that "ice string" pic. There was likely moisture/frost in the air, and it was zero degrees that morning, but no rain or snow or anything. It was sunny. It's quite the phenomenon evidently! I've posted it on FB and everyone is trying to guess, searching on internet, finding nothing. I know what I saw, though, and it was flimsy strings of ice or something close to ice. There was nothing on the electric lines, except some frost that formed on the wires. However, if you look closely, there is no frost that seems to be missing where this long string is, or the short one, too. There were probably 20-30 of the shorter strings, 8-18" long, all along the electric line from my house to the corner, 1/2 mile. I saw none on the next stretch, which was a E/W road. I now wish I had taken a video of them, showing how they were blowing in the breeze. I think pretty much no one believes they were flimsy, like string, and not rigid like ice! Oh well, it if was a once in a lifetime moment, at least I got this one pic! :blueflower:
Here it is again. I'm still completely flabbergasted about it!
Ice strings Jan 3 2014.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wonder if it could be ice that is covering pieces of the wire that deteriorated from the main line and are just hanging there? You know like pieces of dental floss that has parts that get stuck and pop away and then dangle and get stuck in between your teeth. You could go back when the ice melts and see if there are any really thin pieces of the wire hanging there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, and Yukon is not leaving my farm this weekend. He has a new collar on, but no tag yet. No place in town engraves them, and couldn't even find them to purchase. Looks like I will need to order them instead. Then, probably won't be leaving him outside until after this cold snap, which we won't be above zero temps until Wed., so he and Smokey will be in the garage during the day and in the house at night, probably. I know it's not good to have them inside/outside, but no way is he going out to the barn to sleep when it's -15 degrees air temp, and -35 wind chill. Brrrr .... Illinois has not had this cold of temps for over 20 years. I'll be happy when it's done!
My koi pond with air bubbler had a dome and only about a 6" diameter hole in it. Rest of pond is frozen solid. Goldfish pond was frozen over, but I could see the water bubbler under the dome there. Used hot water to melt the dome and put a heater in there, and put heater in the koi pond, too. Seems to have opened the holes a little bit more, and with temps up to 40 today and sun shining brightly still, I'm hoping some more warmth will penetrate and warm the water. If not, I'll be shutting off all bubblers and just leave the heaters run when the temps plummet to below zero from Sun. night through Tues. Not sure my heaters will be able to make much of a difference. I have no idea how Colleen keeps her ponds mostly open with temps to 10F. I think you said you don't plug in the heaters until the temps are below 10 or 15F, right? Maybe you have a septic tank or something keeping the water warmer there, or maybe it's because I'm in the wide open, winds cool the water as much or more than the air temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Nope, Sissy, I looked really good this morning, no wires or grass or anything else connected to the electric lines. I have no idea how they formed there. I know there are some really cool ice formations that people cannot explain how they happened, so maybe this is that type of thing.

Ask a Question